Max boost [safely]? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Max boost [safely]?

I know I read a few posts/commets of a few of you who have raised your boost. Lets say you get full exhaust [UP, DP, and CB] and maybe a short ram air. when you get the car tuned, what is the max boost you should go on a stock turbo.

the reason I ask is I was talking to a guy at work and mentioned, after I get my exhaust and all that when I get my ECU retuned I am going to have the boost raised to 16 +/-. he seemed to think it would blow up the engine. but then again he drives a TA, with out the mulet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
People on NASIOC say 17psi on a stock turbo before it starts to blow hot air.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae

Last edited by 9d2TSi; 01-31-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Site bashing.
#3 Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
after I get my exhaust [no cats anywhere] when it comes time for inspection and I put the catted down pipe in to pass, will my car run bad if it is tuned for the exhaust and I out the OEM stuff back on for a day? or will I cause any damage
#4 Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
then again, the info's from NASIOC so take it with a grain of salt.
what do those guys not know what they are talking about. I've noticed there are a BUNCH of people on that forum [which is why I like this one better]
#5 Old 01-30-2006, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I have heard 17psi numerous places. That is what I have my eyes set on when I get a tune.
#6 Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser
I know I read a few posts/commets of a few of you who have raised your boost. Lets say you get full exhaust [UP, DP, and CB] and maybe a short ram air. when you get the car tuned, what is the max boost you should go on a stock turbo.

the reason I ask is I was talking to a guy at work and mentioned, after I get my exhaust and all that when I get my ECU retuned I am going to have the boost raised to 16 +/-. he seemed to think it would blow up the engine. but then again he drives a TA, with out the mulet.
Cobb's Stage ll maps are set at about 15.5-16.5 psi max.With that being said i suggest,like others,sticking to 17psi.Its not just boost you have to worry about(everybody forgets this) it's FUEL.Some people have ran 20psi with an upgraded intercooler and higher fuel pressure with no problems on stock turbo but thats pushing it for the factory pistons and rods.Around 18psi you are getting close to 95-100% IDC (Injector Duty Cycle) with the factory injectors.Also all cars are different.Your tuner will know where to set it at saftly after he sees what your IDC's are at and knock.
#7 Old 01-31-2006, 07:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
I am running 18PSI but this is with a protune so the A/F mixture ratio is cleared up to handle this boost, been running this for roughly 2000 miles. No issues that I can tell seems to run strong

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
#8 Old 02-02-2006, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

04roadtuned is an unknown
just remember every car is different so if guy "a" has this setup at 18psi doesnt mean you can have the same setup and have a guaranteed working setup for your car.
#9 Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
i forget who makes it. but theres a boost controller specifically for the wrx and it comes preset at 15.5. thats all it can do. thats what i did at the track with an mbc. that is not the only issue though. cruising on the highway, especially with inclines, you can build up to very high boost levels at part throttle. this of course is not good. it happens because all an mbc does is monitor the boost level. not the fuel or load or anything else. i would suggest either just puttng on an mbc for the track or getting some ecu work done. i dont roll around with my mbc on. just the track. thats why i want an AP
#10 Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sinister Rex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Sinister Rex Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Rex
im sorry if im posting a noob question but thats what i am im new so forgive me

What is a 2003 wrx boosting at stock?
because i have a 3" perrin downpipe and im soon getting my uppipe and 3" catback i just want to use a mbc to adjust it up a little bit.
#11 Old 02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Stock boost is 13.5 psi. Ditch the mbc and get everything alse that you mentioned. Next get some type of engine management. The Cobb AP is a good choice if you're not familiar with tuning or don't feel comfortable doing it. Just load a map and go. You won't get the max benefit from your mods with off the shelf maps, but you'll notice a nice increase in power and drivability. A protune will help you achieve even better gains with the AP.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#12 Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
ive been running 18psi for 17k and my car still pulls just as good as the day it came off the dyno (knock on wood)
#13 Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM

DubyaAreEx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DubyaAreEx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtacy19
ive been running 18psi for 17k and my car still pulls just as good as the day it came off the dyno (knock on wood)
+1 to that. I ran 18psi (with only utec and uppipe) for about 60k miles until the stock turbo blew at 90k miles but ran realible until then.