MANY Exhaust rattles!!!!!!!! help me !!>?!?!> - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

NickCParker is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to NickCParker
MANY Exhaust rattles!!!!!!!! help me !!>?!?!>

I just took my 04 wrx down to world one performance in western Seattle to get my new Invidia Cat Back exhaust installed. The install took a good twenty minutes and while i was watching it be in stalled i noticed the intallees giving the new exhaust quite violent shoves?

anywho my car is lowered and im given the keys. start her up . SWEET . gotta love that unleashed boxer engine. While im driving back i notice that at particular rpms ther is quite distinct vibrations towards the rear of the car. My hunch is that it's the heat sheild vibrating once the exhasut reaches a certain pitch (being around 2 grand).

question 1: Is it okay to remove the rear muffler heatshield with an N1 style catback exhaust

My next issue occurs when im starting up the car: i start her up and i can hear the exhaust pipe rattling against the exhaust housing. Its a rythmic rat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat until i press the gass and get the car moving. once shes in idle again the rythmic rattling starts up again. AAAAGH ! i jus spent 500 bucks on exhaust and now my car sounds more like a stomp concert than a wrx!. The siimple answer to my problem would be stiffened exhaust hangers which im in the process of ordering, but im pretty sure my problem may be a little more serious than just some quick exhaust hangers.

question 2: how do i stop the mid section of my cat back to stop rattling against the walls of the cat back housing? how do i stop the rattling alltogether!> theres so many?

ANY experiences or stories among the same subjuct would be greatly appreciated! thanks for all your help people>>>
NICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
havent had that trouble but the guys at world one are pretty good take it back and tell them sure they will fix it dont want any customers complaining about their work good luck with that
post #3 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Lost One is an unknown
Question

I actually am having a similiar problem with my Invidia N1 catback and Helix downpipe. I just installed both with new Kartboy hanggers and it ran/sounded great the first day. Now the exhaust is getting progressively louder and rattling the car quite a bit at certain RPM's.

Any thoughts?
post #4 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 02:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ronnzi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Ronnzi
I have Invidia up, down and catback (G200) with no problems or rattles. Not sure about the heatshielding (I have mine off) but my main advice would be to make sure the sides of the catback or downpipe aren't hitting the undercarriage - there's a bolt on the dp that can be loosened which will help you readjust both pieces.

If the downpipe is positioned the way it was when hooked up to your stock catback, your new one might high the sides a little while driving. Perhaps that was the shoving they did when installing - i know it was a ##### for me to keep away from the undercarriage, but after a good few minutes of messing with it, you'll be able to tell. I bet that's your problem right there - it's a tight fit but it'll fit flawlessly without rattles if installed properly.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
i installed a invidia dp to my wagon last weekend and was getting terrible vibration too. I went back noticed the dp rubbing against the cross brace on the frame. I shifted it a little to get it to stop but under torque it still flexes and hits it. So i am going to grind a little bit off the cross brace, problem solved. but if your getting vibration in the back look at the muffler and see if it is hitting your sway bar mount. the vinration is coming from somewhere where the exhuast is hitting the car.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
What exhaust hangers do you have? Try the Kartboy extra longs maybe?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lost One is an unknown
I don't have the longs, but considering giving them a try. I am in the process of lossening/retightening everything as we speak. I found one spot where teh midpipe was rubbing on the floorpan, which might explain the rubbing. On thoughts on why my exhaust got so much louder? I haven't found any leaks...
post #8 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yea guys. i. unfortunetly bought the invidia catback WITH the resanator. which is basically just another muffler in the middle of the catback. i have no downpipe at the time because i thought d/p without ecu tunage equals turbo creep or something bad like that. so i was planning on buy my d/p with ALL my other upgrades. i bought the cat back to release the boxer sound. anyways, this resinator is really PISSING ME OFF . man o man. i drop that much money and get a vibration that sounds worse than the stock exhuast. lame.

World one is telling me when i get my stiffened> maybe even the longer hangers that my problem should be fixed but i dont think it will considering how close the resinator can already is to the side of the exhaust indentation on the belly of my rex. so wtf? aaagh . very frustrating> why would invidia make such a lame ass exhasust without some sort of proir warning to exhaust, well exhasut rub !Notfunny! . thats what it is > S U C K S F O R M E .
if ANYONE has experience solving the problem of invidia's n1 catback exhasut with the resenator i would GREATLY appreciate the info .
thanks a ton people .
A very frustrated NICK.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
nick, you have to "tune" the resianter. i have a blitz whitch also comes with it. and with just thrown in there it rattles A LOT and gets really really raspy.

heres what you do. take a long screwdriver/pry bar put it in the muffler/resinater and have a friend push/tap on the gas. you have to tightin losen and re-tighten untill you find the sweet spot for the res.

but i juast took mine out and its freakin insane.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
your talking about a silencer not a resonator. the resonator is built into the 1st part of the catback.it is oversized so it hits the bottom of the car where the heat sheild is. the kartboy long hanger should do the job. get the hangers. you will be much happier.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

nicksalerno is an unknown
I had the same problem with my catback. I found mine rattling on the brace for the drive shaft just back from the cat. I tride the regular kartboy hangers and they helped a little but it still hit on bigger bumps. So I got the long ones and it worked.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

If i get the kartboy long hangers wouldnt my exhaust be hangin lower. meeeaaaaning it could possibly scrape reeeeal bad?> i dont want it to scrape and stuff.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2005, 05:06 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
It's not that much lower...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement