Looking for New exhaust - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Looking for New exhaust

Alright i drive a 2004 wrx and im saving up for new exhaust. ive been looking at alot of systems so far like borla xr-1 borla hush, etc. im looking to get a turbo back exhaust system with a catless downpipe because i have heard that the cat is a pretty big waiste of money and can cause major problems down the road. im just looking for your guy's input on what to get. im looking for an exhaust that isnt really loud or anything but i do wana hear the exhaust rumble. im also looking for a deep sound as well. at the moment my car is completly stock, minus the snorkus and i am looking to do the work myself. i have a pretty good set of tools and jacks as well as jack stand and i have some technician experiance under my belt. although i do not have a cutting tourch or a welder so it needs to be bolt on as well. thanks for your input guys...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a gp moto twin tip, and love it. Pretty much any brand name TBE is going to be good.
search youtube for sound clips, i would post a link to mine but for some reason its not working.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04wrxhart View Post
with a catless downpipe because i have heard that the cat is a pretty big waiste of money and can cause major problems down the road.
What? I've never heard of a catted DP causing problems.... Catted UpPipe, yes. Yeah, search some youtube clips... I like the Invidia 3" DP and HKS hi-power combo.... Or Perrin's twin-tip exhaust is really nice too. YouTube exhaust clips FTW

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#4 Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
how loud is the gp moto on a scale of 1-10 in your opinion ?
#5 Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
These are some of the more popular brands that are out ther and how they compare.
WRX STi Exhaust: Catback & Turboback Exhausts, Gaskets, Hangers, Headers & Components JSC Speed

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic

Source: WRX STi Exhaust: Catback & Turboback Exhausts, Gaskets, Hangers, Headers & Components JSC Speed

Sorry, Josh....I just had to one up you. I knew you were going to go after the JSC speed link to when i read the OP.
#7 Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
I personally like the way the cobb exhaust sounds, I would get it catless though, Mine is catted my friends is catless and its a decent bit louder/deeper but still nothing insane. Even mine with the cat has a nice rumble at idle, and screams a bit when you give it gas.

Dream Evil
#8 Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
What you little chart doesn't have a GP moto TT on there!!! its somewhere in between a hush and the perrin twin tip.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#9 Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

subarooster is an unknown
i've always wondered what taper is??
#10 Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
taper: to become smaller or thinner toward one end

When used in context with WRX/STi exhaust piping, the taper refers to the part of the downpipe where the pipe gradually gets smaller toward the end where the flange connects to the cat back. This makes it possible for a larger 3" downpipe to make a smooth transition to a smaller 2.5" or 2.25" cat back pipe (A good example of this is if you wanted to use a larger aftermarket downpipe with your stock cat back so you would have more power and still maintain a stock look from the back of your car. Cobb's 3" downpipe has a slight taper toward the end of it so you could successfully connect your stock cat back to it if you wanted to.). The exhaust flows a lot smoother this way rather than if there was no taper and the larger 3" pipe suddenly became a smaller 2.5" or 2.25" pipe. That would be like hitting a wall and create all kinds of turbulence and rob you of some precious horsepower. So, tapers are good unless you're going from a 3" downpipe to a 3" cat back pipe - in which case, you don't need a taper at all because the pipes are the same size. Get it?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#11 Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM

ScoobyTuner is more helpful than not
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyTuner
I have the Invidia G200 on my STi and I love it. I find it wierd that it's classified as being louder than the Invidia Regular (N1). Check out the Cobb exhaust man. I think you would be VERY happy with that. You get the performance you are looking for without all the sound.

I agree with Subeast. The cat in the DP won't cause any problems. In fact, they are HIGHLY recommended on the 07 WRX/STi's to help with the boost issues. But under high HP applications, on the 02-05 WRX, the cat in the Up-pipe can. I'm not saying that it will, but it can. Generally there has to be a decent amount of power the car is putting down and there has to be alot of miles on the car as well.
#12 Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1 million for the Cobb DP or TBE. I run it, love the sound, and the fit and the finish. Pricey, but to me its worth it. And also like stated above, the cat in the DP isnt that big a deal at all unless you are trying to get the last little bit of power out of the car. Here is my link that I love to push when it comes to exhausts and designs: CobbTuning.com - Exhaust Design

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyTuner View Post
I agree with Subeast. The cat in the DP won't cause any problems. In fact, they are HIGHLY recommended on the 07 WRX/STi's to help with the boost issues.
Chris, I hope you meant STIs up to 07s. The VF39 is the IHI turbo with the small wastegate and boost spikes like a mofo. The VF43 was made to fix that problem.
2002-7 WRX & STi Exhaust Systems Explained Uppipe Downpipe Header Catback Turboback JSC Speed That's just my backup info...
#14 Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
i did mean the uppipe lol. i heard that you could eventually suck the cat guts into your turobo or something like that. sounds like a horor story i want no part of. plus if i were to get a catless uppipe wouldnt that let me squeeze out a couple more HP ? i dont think that washington state emissions are to strick so i dont think removing it would cause much of a problem on the legal side.
#15 Old 12-13-2008, 02:47 PM

Oh, the uppipe is strictly a saftey mod. The 06 and up come with out one, lucky us. Some will debate about the power/quicker spooling turbo. But it should be done to be on the safe side of things.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"