looking for a little insight(ex-dsmer) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

janes5150 is an unknown
looking for a little insight(ex-dsmer)

well im about ready to purchase my wrx.thing is i do know what i want out of it and what my plans are.just unsure about swapping out the turbo.first off a up/down pipe,full exhaust,access port or reflash.seems basic enough.i really dont plan on dragging it 1/4 mile cause thats not what it was made for.but i am looking for more power out of it.on my last dsm i had a evo3 big 16 on it.pulled like a raped ape.i would like the subie to do the same.but i also want to be good for every day driving.
i have been reading abot the vf34 and vf22.i want low egts and i dont want to stress it more than i have to.i would say my goal is about 275 safe horsepower.would i need injectors as well?im going to keep searching but a little insight in my quest would be nice as well.

Last edited by janes5150; 01-15-2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
you WILL need injectors for a bigger turbo on this car. STI makes JDM "pink" injectors that flow around 565cc's, and are a good match for the IHI series turbos.

IMHO, anything bigger than the 34/22 will compromise the logevity of your engine greatly. a 34 or 22 will get you into the 275whp range with an intercooler. If you don't know already, the 22 is a slightly larger turbo than the 34, but it's also slightly outdated. It's a non-ball bearing turbo, whereas the 34 is.

I have the 34 and it's a great everyday turbo. I use cobb ap, off the shelf EM. Still waiting for their accesstuner to come out. . .
#3 Old 01-15-2005, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

janes5150 is an unknown
thanks for the fats response.as far as up/down pipe goes,whicj of the million brands is going to be the easiest to install?i would like to keep at least one cat on there,which one i dont know.
as far a vf34 goes,what kind of priceing am i looking at?i owuld do the turbo/injectorlast.mainly i want to do the up/down pipe exhaust and AP all at once.i plan on peicing it together because i love the way the magna flow sounds ona wrx,and i have yet to hear anthing close to that.
#4 Old 01-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
If I'm not mistaken, I think the TurboXS setup comes with a MagnaFlow muffler. Perrin and Helix are also great brands too look at for your exhaust setup. As for keeping one cat, I can't answer that since I was torn with the same problem and ended up going catless.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 01-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
If you are goingto keep a cat on your car keep it in the DP. deffinitly remove the UP. for safty resonse alone. As far as easier install the UP is a pain to put in no matter what brand you use, one with a flex pipe might be a tad bit easier like Helix. Helix also has a down pipe with a cat and a nice exhaust. A place to check out for good prices is Gruppe-s.com. You can get the VF-34, injectors and fuel pump for around 1200.00
#6 Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I say you get the Perrin catless uppipe, and TXS turboback exhaust with either their standard muffler if you want to be quiet of their RFL if you wanna be Real F'ing loud. Just my .02 though
#7 Old 01-16-2005, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

janes5150 is an unknown
and a helix down pipe?thats ill be just for starters
#8 Old 01-17-2005, 05:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

janes5150 is an unknown
also,i fugure i will need to do a cel fix.i have been reading that there are 2 fixes,one is electrical and one is mechanical.thing is i have yet to see i write up on these.i just really want to be able to do the basic mods with having to worry about things like CEL and tranny issues.thats why the srt4 looked like a good option for me
#9 Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

THE UP doesn't really matter, as long as it's a well known brand for fitment (I have the scooby sport solid pipe and it had No issues and hasn't leaked yet).

You will not need CEL fixes if you use the accessport. It's one of the few EMS's that will elminate CEL's for the Upipe, and downpipe.

I personally don't care for the TXS downpipe, IMO 4" is overkill. I'm partial to 3" bellmouth designs. Cobb makes a nice TBE. You can always piece one together cheaper than buying it all from the same company. Helix makes a good DP for the $ too (that's what I have, with the stock cat back).
#10 Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Actually, all the engine management systems out there eliminate the CEL. Well, they don't eliminate the ECU from throwing the light, but they keep the light itself from coming on. The codes will still be in the ECU.

If you get an uppipe without an EGT sensor bung, you will need a CEL fix even with engine management. The EGT sensor will trigger your ECU into making your car run in limp mode, which is obviously not a good thing. You don't need it for the O2 sensor.

A word about buying Cobb exhaust pieces - they are made by Stromung, and you can usually find them cheaper with the Stromung label on them.

I have the Invidia downpipe (same as Helix) and it's great. Never had a problem.
#11 Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

here we go again ..

"Actually, all the engine management systems out there eliminate the CEL. Well, they don't eliminate the ECU from throwing the light, but they keep the light itself from coming on"

You're right, (and I apologize for being harsh in my previous post ) all of them eliminate the CEL from coming on, but more importantly All EMS's do NOT prevent the ECU from freaking out due to a catless system (I misread your post).

And cobb is made by stromung, so what? Many companies use third parties to manufacture parts for them. . . Go try and buy a bellmouth DP from stromung. You won't find one, because they only make a twin dump DP (to my knowledge anyway). SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by hondaeater; 01-17-2005 at 09:45 PM.
#12 Old 01-17-2005, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Uhh... you might want to actually READ something before arguing with it.

Access Port, UTEC, EcuTek, and all the other engine management systems I have ever seen keep the CEL itself from coming on. They don't, however, keep the ECU from seeing the reason for the CEL. Whatever reason for the code, the ECU still sees it and triggers the code, which would normall turn on the CEL. You can still have your codes pulled and find the code associated with the CEL. They only keep the dash light from coming on.

But, I guess you'll argue with that too...

As for the Cobb/Stromung issue, I was simply trying to save people money. Cobb's pieces are pretty expensive, and when sold by Stromung they are usually cheaper.
#13 Old 01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cobb's TBE, 995$ from cobb's website.

Stromung's TBE, 1015$ (from JCS speed site).

That's the cheapest Stromung TBE I could find. Maybe you should READ before you post misinformation. Cobb's products are NOT overpriced, regardless of what the lemmings say. . .

You don't only want to block the CEL, but you want to fool the ECU into thinking everything is copesetic. The AP can do this without any additional mechanical fixes or resistors. Not ALL EMS's are the same in that respect. UTEC will only block the CEL, not fool the ECU, so your car will go into limp mode if you don't "fix" those sensors.

Last edited by hondaeater; 01-17-2005 at 09:27 PM.
#14 Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yes, it can. If you set it to. At least that's what I was told by Cobb. Otherwise the code will stay there to allow you to have it pulled.

As for the Stromung stuff, you used to be able to buy it directly from www.stromung.com. I haven't looked for it in a while since I'm not in the market for it.
#15 Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

There is no way to 'set' the ap to cycle the code. It cycles itself out automatically, I think trey said somewhere around 5-6 cycles.

Last edited by hondaeater; 01-17-2005 at 09:21 PM.