Lightweight Flywheel - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-12-2003, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
Lightweight Flywheel

I was wondering what you guys think about the Unorthodox Racing Lightweight Flywheel. Is it worth the money or is it just a waste. Iam buying an sti clutch and was wondering if i should upgrade the flywheel to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2003, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Lightweight flywheels are nice, because they take a large amount of load off of the engine, so then you are able to get much better response. However, you'll experience much worse low speed driving, and will probably have to feather the clutch to get it smooth. Also, I think if the flywheel is less than 9.5 lbs then your ECU won't know how to react, and you will lessen your performance. (something I heard, I have no real experience with that)

Blue
#3 Old 10-20-2003, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

midnght is an unknown
They will also fall off fast, rpms I mean. The rpm drop is also going to do thing s to your boost. The faster you fall the longer it will take to catch back up. I am not saying it is a bad thing because it will catch up faster being it is 'lightweight' and all. Lighten fywheels need more tuning to get the full effect going.

Put it this way, a buddy of mine ran a 13.3 before the install of a lightweight flywheel. After the install he ran a 13.5. He is pretty consistant on the track and can go through the gears like the best of them. He just couldn't get that .2 tenths back to save his live. We are guessing it is because of the faster rpm falloff.

I have never heard of the ecu not knowing how to react to the new flywheel. I guess it is more of a subie thing?

Hope I helped.
#4 Old 10-20-2003, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
no..the knock sensor is pickin up more harmonics, detecting them as knock...and pulling timing. this is esp true with cars running a light fly and crank pulley. there are more crank shocks going throught ht eblock,....ie..more harmonics. fooling the knock sensor...pulling timing.

does this on most all boxer engines.
#5 Old 10-20-2003, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

midnght is an unknown
Thanks for the info.

Are the crank pulleys harmonic dampned or not on the WRX? That is my problem right now with my dsm. The crankpulley has seperated itself from the rubber<-->metal. Another DSM problem!!
#6 Old 10-20-2003, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by midnght
Thanks for the info.

Are the crank pulleys harmonic dampned or not on the WRX? That is my problem right now with my dsm. The crankpulley has seperated itself from the rubber<-->metal. Another DSM problem!!
Yes, the stock crank pully on the WRX is harmonic dampned. People sometimes have problems when they buy a lightened pully, as almost all of them have no dampening. Because of that, they are seeing their knock sensor pick up more knock, thus the ECU pulls timing, and they are getting reduced performance from something that was supposed to give them more.

Blue
#7 Old 10-21-2003, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

midnght is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDemon

Yes, the stock crank pully on the WRX is harmonic dampned. People sometimes have problems when they buy a lightened pully, as almost all of them have no dampening. Because of that, they are seeing their knock sensor pick up more knock, thus the ECU pulls timing, and they are getting reduced performance from something that was supposed to give them more.

Blue
Yeah, that is the problem I am gathering from most people with any car. When you go from a harmonic dampned pulley to a solid aluminum pulley they are not getting the results they were expecting. It would stem from them not be able to control the excess KNOCK the engine is now producing.

It is sort of a nessesary EVIL, it is a horrible design (rubber surrounded by metal) but any other pulley is going to shake the hell out of the engine enough to register higher knock count. I personally don't see the great tradeoff for a lightend pulley.

Thanks for the help BLUE!!
#8 Old 10-21-2003, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Welcome!

I have heard claims that GFB (I think) makes a harmonic dampened lightened crank pully.... (wouldn't it be nice if that was true??) It's worth looking into. (Though I don't know if they make one for your car)

Blue
#9 Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

midnght is an unknown
I don't know either, the only one I know of for my car cost $300 and is considerably more than the stock. I just don't see the point in it though. The tradeoff is not worth the big bucks. I have put alot in this car, as I will with the WRX once I get the deal done.

Chad
#10 Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

temallica1 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnght View Post
They will also fall off fast, rpms I mean. The rpm drop is also going to do thing s to your boost. The faster you fall the longer it will take to catch back up. I am not saying it is a bad thing because it will catch up faster being it is 'lightweight' and all. Lighten fywheels need more tuning to get the full effect going.

Put it this way, a buddy of mine ran a 13.3 before the install of a lightweight flywheel. After the install he ran a 13.5. He is pretty consistant on the track and can go through the gears like the best of them. He just couldn't get that .2 tenths back to save his live. We are guessing it is because of the faster rpm falloff.

I have never heard of the ecu not knowing how to react to the new flywheel. I guess it is more of a subie thing?

Hope I helped.
do you know how light that flywheel was? im looking at getting a 13.9 lb flywheel.
#11 Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
considering this thread is like 5 years old, i dont think he is going to answer you.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#12 Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

temallica1 is an unknown
lol thanks