Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   leaking coolent (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/leaking-coolent-32452/)

Klone 05-04-2012 02:03 AM

leaking coolent

for some reason im leaking coolent and it might be coming from the waterpump. could a high pressure rad cap be causing this? its a blitz 1.3

pzr2874 05-04-2012 05:38 AM

It could be anything.

Get it up to operating temp and have a look around. Is your radiator factory?

man show 05-04-2012 10:22 PM

Have you done any work on or around the cooling system recently?

Try ditching the higher pressure cap, topping the system off with coolant, and burping it again. Double check to make sure all your hose connections are tight.

As part of my timing belt change today, I actually upgraded to a Koyo aluminum radiator with Samco hoses and T-bolt clamps because I'm paranoid about plastic end tanks on the stock radiator cracking (apparently it's a common problem on higher mileage cars). My heart sank when I read the title of this thread because I was worried about coolant leaks all day. So far, so good on my end. I'll send some luck your way.

FWIW, I'm still using stock pressure caps and a stock thermostat with my upgraded radiator for now.

Klone 05-05-2012 12:43 AM

[quote=pzr2874;279684]It could be anything.

Get it up to operating temp and have a look around. Is your radiator factory?[/quote]

nope, its an aftermarket full aluminum radiator

Klone 05-05-2012 01:21 AM

[quote=man show;279725]Have you done any work on or around the cooling system recently?

Try ditching the higher pressure cap, topping the system off with coolant, and burping it again. Double check to make sure all your hose connections are tight.

As part of my timing belt change today, I actually upgraded to a Koyo aluminum radiator with Samco hoses and T-bolt clamps because I'm paranoid about plastic end tanks on the stock radiator cracking (apparently it's a common problem on higher mileage cars). My heart sank when I read the title of this thread because I was worried about coolant leaks all day. So far, so good on my end. I'll send some luck your way.

FWIW, I'm still using stock pressure caps and a stock thermostat with my upgraded radiator for now.[/quote]

Thanks man. I actually had a timing belt job + waterpump change back in november by the subaru dealership. If it keeps leaking after i change the cap back to the one it had ill have them check it out. I think the labor came with a warranty.

my wrx came with an aftermarket full aluminum radiator when i bought it. the owner before me had it installed probably because of the plastic tank cracking problem