Large turbo+FMIC on 02WRX, GFB hybrid problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
Large turbo+FMIC on 02WRX, GFB hybrid problem

Hi guys. Having some issues with my gfb hybrid. It worked fine on the stock turbo TMIC setup on stage 2 at 16psi. I wanted to use it on my new stage 4 setup with a blouch 18G and FMIC on MY02 WRX. Im running 18psi for street driving and 22 psi for race gas, and the stock bpv is starting to leak, so i tried my GFB again. Im having issues with compressor surge when at low and mid boost, I didn't want to see what it sounded like at 18psi. At about 5-10 psi there is pronounced flutter before a small dump running in 50/50. Above 10psi it sounds like a louder flutter-dump and the spring is all the way adjusted out. Even when getting into the throttle and building boost, then letting off a little i hear flutter pretty bad. If i adjust it tighter, there is just all compressor surge. Not something i want to hear on an $1100 turbo. I took it apart and checked everything and cleaned it too. I'm curious, do you think its the 600+cfm of the turbo flowing, volume of air in the IC pipes, or a combo of both thats causing this. It sounds like the GFB just isn't able to vent all that air? or do i just need the GFB6116 spring? I'm out of options and don't want to go through selling this valve and buying something else. Any help would be great. Thanks....

-02 WRX Blouch 18G'd Juggernaut of Beastliness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
i have the gfb set to atm. and occiasionally i get compressor surge, especially in colder weather. i think your best bet right now would be to run the gfb full recirculating.
#3 Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wasp642 is an unknown
It doesn't matter if i run VTA, hybrid or recirc. i get the same result. So i'm running the stocker for now with 18psi until i figure this out. And my stock BPV is crushed, still leaks at 22+psi.

-02 WRX Blouch 18G'd Juggernaut of Beastliness.