Keeping EWG shut w/ air pressure - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Keeping EWG shut w/ air pressure

If I run a boost control setup like this, will I be able to run 24 psi with a low pressure spring (7 psi)?

At low duty cycles the bottom port sees vacuum and the top sees pressure; theoretically, it should keep the wastegate shut even at high pressures, but how well would this work in reality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I ran 20psi on a .6bar spring with my old EWG setup. It will stay closed but having that low of a spring rate will make your spool slower.

I have heard that you shouldn't use a 4 port BCS with the 16bit ECU.

Another thing for you to consider is that the accuracy limit of the stock MAP sensor is 22psi. You might be better off running an aftermarket boost controller such as a DTEC or Eboost2.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
It will stay closed but having that low of a spring rate will make your spool slower.
Dang it... I was afraid that might happen.
Quote:
I have heard that you shouldn't use a 4 port BCS with the 16bit ECU.
Why not?
Quote:
Another thing for you to consider is that the accuracy limit of the stock MAP sensor is 22psi. You might be better off running an aftermarket boost controller such as a DTEC or Eboost2.
I have considered that. My tuner said I would be fine with 23-24 psi. As far as using an aftermarket boost controller, I have not considered that. I don't even know how those work. I'll look into that more.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
Why not?
The 32bit ECU's have an Initial Wastegate Duty table that let you set a starting point for the duty cycle. The 16bit ECU's are missing that and it will take longer to reach it's maximum setting. In the next post Freon says that you need the Initial Wastegate table to make it work right: NASIOC - View Single Post - Full DIY: GM solenoid install (56k warning)
That would be something that you would need to talk to your tuner about.

The standalone boost controllers will be just that. It will control your boost independent of the ECU. The better ones like the 2 I posted about before will give you gear dependent boost control or severaly boost maps that you can run.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement