K&N Typhoon quesiton - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Thanks Boost! Just planning out what I want to buy if I upgrade! Will the K&N Typhoon require a tune after install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
aps is the best imo but only with a tune of course

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #18 of 22 Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
I just bought myself a K&N OEM replacement drop-in air filter and i have the snorkus removed. i myself was thinking about getting the K&N Typhoon and after alot of research i decided its just a waiste of money for my dreams. the K&N drop in is very nice. i did notice a slight increase in spool time on my turbo, atleast a couple hundred rpm or so, and it did increase the sound of my intake. so you can either spend 250 bucks on the typhoon to gain little to no hp and a cool sound or u can have some real fun, take off the snorkus and drop in the k&n filter for about $55. fyi in the end i dream of about 300-325hp i dont plan on going any bigger. this is after all my daily driver.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Boost Addict is more helpful than not
Sorry tuner, I didn't realize you had an '03.

To address your question: On the 08's, a tune shouldn't be required. However, I had a custom tune, which I reflashed back to stock after installing the intake to avoid any issues. I'm not sure about the Typhoon requiring a tune on the '03s. I'm sure it doesn't, but it would be better to have one.

With that said, I'm going to have to echo 04wrxharts advice for the most part. Your intake system is more efficiently designed than mine. All I would do is remove the silencer from the passenger side fender well and replace the filter with something higher flowing. Also, I would highly recommend a GP Moto intake elbow, they run around $40-50 and are designed to replace your silencer with an elbow directly re-connecting the air box to the rest of the intake system. That helps maintain the Ram Air effect of your stock inlet scoop.

I am bolting on a Turbo that's capable of over 300 whp, and I didn't want my factory intake system to pose as a restriction. That's why I got the K&N Typhoon. If your goals are more modest, then I don't recommend it. And with an aftermarket intake, expect a loss of power in the lower third of the rpm band. It's only when the engine is consuming lots of air that it could potentially make a bigger difference. And of course, I recommend a tune.

In short, an intake would be one of the last power modifications I would do. Hope that helps your decision.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1 for the Snorkus removal and K&N drop in. I've had this done for about 20k miles. I replaced the snorkus with the GP Moto intake elbow. It was about $40, and the drop-in was about $40.

I noticed a little extra spool noise and intake noise.

Don't forget to buy the K&N cleaning kit too. I just cleaned mine after 20k.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I already have a K&N typhoon short ram on my 06 WRX TR. When I get my COBB ACCESS PORT can I still use it or would it be better to use the stock air box/snorkus delete. This same question applies for now without the AP.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #22 of 22 Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cobb suggests only their intake or the SPT intake. One of their tech advisers said it would be fine to run the drop-in element and intake elbow.