Just Getting Started - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

tunafish is an unknown
Just Getting Started

I have been searching the forums for several weeks now, I have a 2005 WRX and want to make a few mods a short ram cold air intake, turbo back exhaust and replace the down and uppipe.
Most import this is my daily driver and I have to pass emissions testing.
What worries me is all the threads about cel, the mechanical fix or the electrical. Some members never having problems and others getting celís.
When I check ponyexpressperformance.com for the cel fix I canít even find their web site.
It seems most of the mods and fixes have been done for the 2002-2003 so my question is does the 2005 still have catalytic converters in the up and downpipe and if so are there any current fixes so you donít get a cel. Thanks to all that can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
well, if you want to make more power, be more efficient or whatever, some people here will tell you you should probably get a reflash also.

I am not 110% sure on this, but i beleive that the 05 has the cat in the UP and DP also.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#3 Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jcarv20 is an unknown
Get the Cobb AP and you'll get the most from your mods and it will fix any cel problems
#4 Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
yuperoonie, thats what i'm guna get is the Accessport... plus it does cool stuff like estimate HP, measure 1/4, 0-60 times. hehehe

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#5 Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Start with changing your up pipe first, then research some form of EM, then a DP or full TBE, and dont worry about any intake just a panel filter and you should be fine.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrXmon is an unknown
You get better performance with a panel filter, and in saying so, don't use an oil filtered filter. Definitely invest in some form of engine management before doing a downpipe, which is included in the turbo back exhaust system. I would suggest a Cobb AP, because it will help with removing CELs related to switching out cats.
I did my uppipe and downpipe at the same time and flashed Stage 2, which also removed the CEL before I saw it come on. Speaking of which, do the uppipe when you do the downpipe. Doing the uppipe in itself is a pain, but since you will have to remove the OE downpipe, it makes the job easier. Also, replace the hgaskets while you're in there.

The biggest benefit to replacing the uppipe is that the turbo will sppol up faster, because the cat before the turbo is removed, which also is a preventitive mod.
#7 Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrXmon is an unknown
Oops. Double post.
#8 Old 01-27-2008, 01:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrXmon View Post
Oops. Double post.
Basically what others have said. Engine Management, Catless Up-pipe, Catted Downpipe and you should be able to pass emissions with those mods no problem...except for the actual visual.
#9 Old 01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

tunafish is an unknown
Thanks for all the reply’s I guess I was trying to go the cheap route and try and get by with out some type of EM. So I will need a cat in the downpipe no way around it to pass emissions and is this the only cat I will need just one. Also once you clear the CEL with say the Cobb do they stay cleared or do they keep coming back every so often and have to cleared again?
#10 Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I live in Ohio and I don't have emissions worries, is that just a county thing?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Once you clear that specific CEL you shouldnt see it again. But if the light comes on its best to check and see what one it is.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

tunafish is an unknown
That makes me feel better about clearing the CEL and yes it is county thing about e-check in Ohio