jdm ej20tt twin turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

diesel paul is more helpful than not
jdm ej20tt twin turbo

what do you guys think of an ej20tt on my wrx is it worth it i found a complete motor for 700 the guy needs money bad

2003 wrx hatch upgraded turbo three inch turbo back upgraded up pipe subaru upgrade intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Great buy for a single turbo conversion if your motor is bad.
#3 Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
EJ20TT, is that the motor from the 91 legacy? It didn't come with an intercooler...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

no it was used in the 96 an various other years legacys i was thinking maybe droping the twin setup onto my 2.0 or maybe just use the whole engine they produced around 280 horse in the japanese cars

2003 wrx hatch upgraded turbo three inch turbo back upgraded up pipe subaru upgrade intake
#5 Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

im preety sure they all came with a top mount intercooler

#6 Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Ah, ok. I did more research. The motor I was thinking of was from the previous generation of legacies to what you're talking about. The first EJ turbo motor was the EJ20G (often called EJ20T) and was in the 91 turbo legacy we got here in the US. The USDM version did not have a proper intercooler though later models did in japan. It was used in the first STi's until 96. The USDM replacement was the EJ22T, which also had no intercooler. The JDM replacement in the legacy GT after 1993 in various forms was the EJ20H (often called EJ20TT) and did have an intercooler, yes.

If it's from a 96 JDM LGT, wiki tells me it's either an EJ20H if it were an auto or an EJ20R if it were a manual. Either way, you're talking about a motor that would be hard to match up with a USDM ECU. Even if you grab the old JDM ECU, good luck programming it. Some Impreza RS guys can talk to you about how much of a pain in the ass the old ECU's were. Your 03 WRX ECU is difficult to use with anything but 02-05 WRX heads. You might be able to rig up the twin turbos but I don't know how much good it would do you. The LGT had more width under the hood than the Impreza and also had the advantage of higher octane gas, better exhaust, etc so don't be fooled in comparing the EJ20TT to the EJ205 just purely in power output. Two turbos are often < one good turbo (ask any 3000GT or RX7 owner about that).

The more useful part of the EJ20TT would be the block itself without the heads, turbos, etc. Assuming your EJ205 heads are still usable, you could go with a more classic hybrid setup. $700 for a used engine stops looking like that good a deal though as EJ257 shortblocks are not much money NEW and offer a 25% displacement advantage.

bottom line is that motor is FAR from plug and play in your car. Do your homework or it'll cost you way more than you think you're saving. Honestly, I think the only JDM motor worth your time would be an EJ207 (JDM STi 1998-2011+) WITH it's ECU and assuming you have working heads, a hybrid would be the cheapest and most cost effective route.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 03-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
#7 Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hmmm wellmaybe just the twin set up would be worth picking up

#8 Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Ya, good luck getting that to fit on a LHD car. !Laugh!