Subaru WRX Forum banner

intake snorkus remover

8K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  gingertooth 
#1 ·
do any of you use this? wondering if its worth getting this or just removing the intake silencer.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not worth it

Dude, not worth it...

But, you can buy mines from me if you want ;) ... And you will ask why? Well, here's my story:

Bought my car. Found out I could take off snorkus. Took it off. Car felt like it:

1) lost low-end torque
2) stuttered in first gear
3) Boost kicked in late

Checked all cable, connectors, hoses. Looked fine. Got a friend to check it for me. Looked fine. We couldn't figure out what was wrong. We thought, hey, it might be because of turbulance in air-intake. So, bought the GPMoto Delete Elbow for $40. Put it on. Nothing. Same crap. Reset ECU. After 1 week, still same thing. Took Delete Elbow off. Put snorkus back on. Great low-end torque. No stuttering. Wasted Money... Buy my Delete Elbow from me. Profit!!! !Thumbs Up

Some say it doesn't affect your car, some say it does. Try it, if you feel like it works for you, then go for it... and buy my GPMoto Delete Elbow that was used for a week (Mint Condition :D )

Here's the link to the mod: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113

#5 ·
DEMENTED said:
i havent tried to remove it yet... how difficult is it to do?

Its not hard at all. If you can get your car in the air its super easy, if not the best way is to remove right side tire. There are like three nuts holding it on, just take em off and rip it out. The hardest thing is removing the molding from inside th fender well, get yourself a crows foot(body tool).
And there is no way you will have drivability problems!! Even if "intake turbulence" was a problem the air cleaner would eliminate it. All that thing is is a resonator it has no function whatsoever above and beyond quieting intake noise.

#10 ·
The stock snorkus isn't advanced - it's merely a big plastic container that the air that comes into your intake comes through before going to your engine. By being in that container first, you don't hear the air as much since the container deadens the noise.

Getting the removal allows you to not have that plastic jug there while still being able to connect that big flat piece of plastic scoop that supposedly brings in air (though it's blocked by the hood from what i can tell....) to the intake like before since the silencer itself connected the two together before.

I just left mine off and have no problems. Took of the snorkus and the scoop. Doesn't look as stock, but who cares. Runs great and I can hear the turbo since the sound isn't being deadened by the silencer.

#15 ·
I like it. I still say if you wanna hear the turbo, buy a used Perrin intake on NASIOC for like $80. The intake sounds sweeter and the bypass valve is more audible than with just removing the snorkus. That is what I did, bought a K&N cone filter for the end of it am selling the Perrin stock one. I love it, wouldn't trade it for a thing.

#18 ·
IBAUCLAPlaya said:
I like it. I still say if you wanna hear the turbo, buy a used Perrin intake on NASIOC for like $80. The intake sounds sweeter and the bypass valve is more audible than with just removing the snorkus. That is what I did, bought a K&N cone filter for the end of it am selling the Perrin stock one. I love it, wouldn't trade it for a thing.
what is "NASIOC"? :D

so i should probably just keep my stock intake on... since i dont really need a short ram intake, huh?

#19 ·
DEMENTED said:
what is "NASIOC"? :D

so i should probably just keep my stock intake on... since i dont really need a short ram intake, huh?
NASIOC - Not Another Stupid Impreza Owners Club :rolleyes:

Yeah, keep the stocker ... if you want to look cool spray paint your box silver or blue or something. And throw a K&N Filter sticker on top !Thumbs Up (Come to think of it... only one person other than me has seen my engine bay... the dealership guy)

#20 ·
Yeah, I definatley wouldnt get an intake. The snorkelectomy will not give you any power whatsoever. It will just let you hear the intake and turbo slightly more. If you remove it, and thats it, then the scoop in the front of your engine bay will just be sitting in an open hole. I didnt like that when I did it, so I took the snorkus (if you want to see what it looks like look in my gallery) and I cut off almost all of it except the two parts that connect the scoop to the intake. This way from just looking in the engine bay, you cant tell I did the snorkelectomy, and you still get the intake sound. !Thumbs Up

#24 ·
i have the elbow in my car. taking it out this week. to see if there is any noticable difference. personally i think it's not worth the $40 unless you want the stock look. you will not gain any power just sound fom your turbo. If you decide to do it, you can pm me and i'll sell it to you $30

#25 ·
DEMENTED said:
hahah yeah right :rolleyes:
He is actually correct.If you add the elbow with say a turbo inlet you will definatly notice a decrease in spool time.Add in some i.c. hoses and you are looking at 200-300rpm quicker spool.Less restriction in the inlet tract will allow the compressor to spin easier.It doesn't have to work as hard to pull the air through the tract and push it into the intercooler.Same thing with some people seeing an increase in spool time with C.A.I.'S More tract (bends) the air has to go through (be pulled through) before it reaches the turbo.Same reason why FMIC's create more lag.More piping that has to be pressurized befor you start hitting positive pressure.Tmic=1 foot of piping FMIC=5-6 feet of piping.

#26 ·
dumdum said:
He is actually correct.If you add the elbow with say a turbo inlet you will definatly notice a decrease in spool time.Add in some i.c. hoses and you are looking at 200-300rpm quicker spool.Less restriction in the inlet tract will allow the compressor to spin easier.It doesn't have to work as hard to pull the air through the tract and push it into the intercooler.Same thing with some people seeing an increase in spool time with C.A.I.'S More tract (bends) the air has to go through (be pulled through) before it reaches the turbo.Same reason why FMIC's create more lag.More piping that has to be pressurized befor you start hitting positive pressure.Tmic=1 foot of piping FMIC=5-6 feet of piping.
True that YO!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.