intake silencer mods - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2002, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Xspeedrj is an unknown
Question intake silencer mods

Like to mod the silencer, but I've heard conflicting stories about removal vs. cutting. Does anyone have detailed instructions on what exactly needs to be done to partially remove the silencer. I'm worried I'm going to hack the piece up and end up removing the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2002, 03:41 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There are several versions of modifying or removing the silencer. The first one simply removes the silencer altogether. You air is then sourced directly from your wheel well. Most remove the intake snorkle and plug the whole where the silencer met w/ the snorkle (it's a oe part off a RS). Some add a velocity stack to this setup, a small aluminum piece that aids air into the airbox. Some remove the snorkle and replace it w/ tubing, thus still sourcing air like oe from the intake snorkle. I have chosen to "hack" my silencer at the narrow section above the resonator portion. This allows me to source air from the original source (front of the car via the snorkle), but also allows me to source air from the fender well. The important point is the silencer is a major restriction in the intake and can be improved upon. The best way to accomplish this is a highly debated topic.

Big Sky
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2002, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Xspeedrj is an unknown
Thanks Big Sky

thanks Big Sky,

I needed someone to give me the skinny on the different variations of this "inexpensive" mod. I was worried that I would turn this into a very "expensive" replacement.

I'll give it a whirl.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

swtdrms is an unknown
Cool

Hello ALL!!

Just a quick Q to those who have preformed this mod. Firstly is it hard to get the silencer out and is the only way to do it view removing the front fender well? Secondly how much HP gain do you think will be achieved with this mod and a K&N filter? I have read many people taking off there cai and doing this mod b/c its better? THanks.

Frank

post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2003, 07:25 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by swtdrms
Hello ALL!!

Just a quick Q to those who have preformed this mod. Firstly is it hard to get the silencer out and is the only way to do it view removing the front fender well? Secondly how much HP gain do you think will be achieved with this mod and a K&N filter? I have read many people taking off there cai and doing this mod b/c its better? THanks.

Frank

It's a pretty easy mod. You don't have to remove the fender well, but you must take out enough of the plastic fastners to acces the silencer. They did some dyno runs in Seattle and found that the silencer mod/K&N made about 4 or 5 hp- not much, but something anyways.

Big Sky
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2003, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

JRock is an unknown
I did the mod too. very easy once you got going. But i opted to do CAI instead of K&N. The change didn't do much but the sound it created was worth it. Oh yeah.... I think I lost some torque.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-25-2003, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWRX0983 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SWRX0983
Does removing the silencer void the warranty? I am going to get the utec and stage 2 upgrade and i'd not sure what i'm going to end up doing with the silencer. So if they tell me to hack it, then will the warranty be voided?
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

topDog is an unknown
Just by having the Utec in your car voids your warrany, but I dont think that removing the silencer will void anything. the utec can be removed easyle before its inspected 20 min max.and then the ecu will take care of everything if you dont want your warranty void
post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2003, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

beanswrx is an unknown
Thumbs down

why hacking off your silencer cut off ## exaust to and make it a true ricer like all the other hondas, thats the cewl thing to do right? not money and make a slow car go a little faster, or is it buy a nice car and SPEND money to make it faster, well i guess u could pull all the seats and carpet and a/c out, i know u will be faster, is it worth it to make ## car look like .... yeah that brown stuff you step in.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Xspeedrj is an unknown
Hey Beans,

Can you write that one again in English?