Intake Silencer/Elbow Fix Q - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ZeroPunkFX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ZeroPunkFX
Intake Silencer/Elbow Fix Q

This weekend I removed the intake silencer from my stock WRX. I'm pretty impressed with how much nicer the intake sounds. Anyway I wanted to know if buying an elbow is worth it. I also wanted to know of a better way to seal the gap between the air box and the wall, cause i used duct tape... Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
You don't need the elbow. And you don't need to seal the gap with anything.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
hey cos, is it true that you lose torque when you remove the silencer. People at nasioc were saying it does. and why does everybody seal that damn gap up then anyway. does it do any harm if you leave it open..
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2005, 08:32 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
No there is no loss in tq, and no you don't have to seal it
post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2005, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Uh i dont know about yall but i bought the elbow for 40$ because i really dont like the idea of air being sucked from the wheel hub. Beside the intake is designed in a way that forces some air flow in to filter and intake system. Its pretty well designed i think, and it should stay that way. Beside the air coming in will be cooler from the front than from the hub. So for 40$ ide get one. JSC speed has them the cheapest last i checked.
Jacob
post #6 of 10 Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
doesn't subaru sell something to plug that up. I heard they do for the rs's. and there cheap too..
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2005, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I also bought the intake resinator delete elbow for $40 from HERE . A cheaper soultion if you don't feel comfortable having the intake suck air from the fender well is to cut the bottom of the resinator off and duct tape that up, basically making a cheap delete elbow.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ZeroPunkFX is an unknown
It doesn't matter that the air comming from the well is a LITTLE warmer, theres plenty ventilation down there especially if you don't seal the gap. Also that elbow is a waste... at least someones making money off a redundant idea for you "insecure" ppl. And if you're that insecure about it just do whut WRXtreme did, it's a cheap fix to a psycological problem (LOL). I thought about doing the same but it really doesn't make a diff.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Azerpmi is an unknown
whats the intake silencer, and how do i remove it, you guys sure it dosnt ef anything up?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ZeroPunkFX is an unknown
An Intake silencer is basically a big plastic box made for one purpose, which is to reduce the sound the intake makes. However it does restrict airflow, which is why many people remove it. It's fairly easy to remove and takes about 10 min. Basically what you want to do is remove the front intake vent located on the passenger side in the front of the car (it should slide right out after unbolting). Jack up the car, take out the wheel and CAREFULLY (cause i've broken one before) pry and unscrew the plastic fasteners on the fender skirt to remove it which should let you see the silencer itself. There is one bolt holding the silencer to the wall, unscrew it and the whole piece should slide right out. All you gotta do now is replace the skirt, wheel and lower the car. After removing the silencer there is a large hole left in your well just use duct tape. There is also a small gap between the airbox and the opening in the wall. This is where ppl debate wether or not they should seal this gap. It doesn't really matter but I used some duct tape.... You'll really be able to hear the diff. THE END