Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Intake Options (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/intake-options-9170/)

WRXnewbie 09-30-2005 11:16 PM

Intake Options

so all ihear is that CIA's are bad. what is another way to let my WRX breathe better.
can i gut my airbox and what is Airbox silencer delete elbow?

nick4592 10-01-2005 01:46 AM

the 'elbow' is in the passenager side wheel well...you can't miss it..big ass plastic piece that you just don't need...the only reason I dont like CAI is because they seem to suck water like a straw when the car goes through puddles....otherwise..just dont go cheap...you need an intake that work with the MAF sensor...I have the HKS short ram...works great in all conditions..but be sure to do your research before deciding on any WRX upgrade.

Nose Nuggets 10-01-2005 11:15 AM

cai is bad becuase it leans out the car

removing the elbo in your curent air-box assembly will allow you to hear the car pulling air, and the turbo will be louder, but it wont increase air-flow or power.

in fact, no intake system will increase power if you dont have a slew of other mods that require the higher volume of air.

go get a perrin or k&n drop in filter, and then go get a down pipe if you want some power.

al5dsm 10-01-2005 01:14 PM

Yeah, downpipe is where the power is at. Like Nose Nuggets said, get a drop-in filter. But if you [b]MUST[/b] have an intake, get the TXS Shorty intake or the Perrin short-ram.

Nose Nuggets 10-01-2005 01:54 PM

why MUST you? its 100% wasted money untill what? stage 4?

nick4592 10-01-2005 02:11 PM

IMO...unless you are running a Big turbo and a lot of power an aftermarket intake isn't needed...just go into the wheel well and take the elbow out...you will notice a difference in turbo spool and sound instantly. :sneaky:

WRXnewbie 10-01-2005 11:28 PM

do you need any parts to take out the elbow, and if not, how about i little guidance so i can do this tomorrow!

al5dsm 10-02-2005 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]why MUST you? its 100% wasted money untill what? stage 4?[/QUOTE]

I didnt mean in the sense that he must do it. I meant that someone people have the mindset that no matter what anyone tells them, its what they want and they are going to buy it no matter what. I was saying if he was thinking like that, then those whould be his 2 best options.

hondaeater 10-02-2005 10:35 AM

i wouldn't mess with a drop in filter either. They just let more dirt in, with gain of about nothing.

My MAFv testing done by myself on both stock vs KnN have proven, they don't flow any more to even be picked up by our stock MAF, which is fairly sensitive.

I used to run a KnN for the first 40K of my car, and every oil analsys i sent (blackstone labs did the testing) in came back with high silicon content. This means DIRT in my engine oil. THeir suggestion every time was check the air intake system for leaks, welp i have no leaks, only a KnN. FOr the last 10K i've been running a stock filter, and have sent my last 8K oil change interval into blackstone, now i'm just awaiting what i suspect will be much lower levels of silicon (should have the results any day now).

WRXnewbie 10-02-2005 04:01 PM

is the elbow the piece that kinnda fans out and sucks air from where like the hood latch is?

nick4592 10-02-2005 04:23 PM

The 'elbow' or air baffle is a big plastic piece that can be taken out with the removal of two screws...it is inside the passanger side wheel well.

WRXnewbie 10-02-2005 05:13 PM

so after i take out the elbow then i just leave the inlet as the hole into the wheel well right?

fuapiti 10-02-2005 10:44 PM

or you can buy an silencer delete elbow which will eliminate the silencer part and will connect the airbox with the snorkle which is supposed to suck air from the front of the car.

these cost like 40 something bucks on ebay, GPMoto makes them, but to tell you the truth, you will not be hearing anything impressive...

nick4592 10-03-2005 02:53 AM

[QUOTE=fuapiti]or you can buy an silencer delete elbow which will eliminate the silencer part and will connect the airbox with the snorkle which is supposed to suck air from the front of the car.

these cost like 40 something bucks on ebay, GPMoto makes them, but to tell you the truth, you will not be hearing anything impressive...[/QUOTE]

personally I would just leave the whole inlet thing off and let the intake take air from the wheel well...but to each thier own.

WRXnewbie 10-03-2005 02:17 PM

what do you mean sucking air from the wheel well and "to each their own"? your leaving the tube that connects into the engine compartment from the wheel well right?