Intake manifold - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Intake manifold

I am always looking at parts and things just for the hell of it. I came across this on ebay. Would this work/be worth while? I know it would need a tune of course. Just getting an idea of a possible, down the road upgrade.

WRX STI EJ20 02 05 Turbo High Flow Intake Manifold | eBay

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Soobs02WRX is an unknown
Looks sweet. I looked at this to, but decided sometimes stock is better for your engine.
#3 Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The one linked (along with the rest of that company's products) is a turd. When you get to the point of needing one, you should be getting this instead.

Cosworth Intake Manifold 02-10 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

That being said, no benefit until you're making 500 whp (literally).
#4 Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You really have to be pushing a lot of power to outflow the stock one. Probably like 400+. With that said there is still no reason it couldn't help. You could spending money better in other areas though. You also have to take into consideration that that one don't have all the vaccum and evap connections the stock one has. You will have to delete or relocate some stuff. I have no idea the extent of your mod cause it don't say on your profile. Im not sure if a ej25 manifold will fit a ej20 but if it does I have one for 100 that you can port, polish, powdercoat, paint, or do whatever you want with. Just throwing it out there.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Im not sure if a ej25 manifold will fit a ej20 but if it does I have one for 100 that you can port, polish, powdercoat, paint, or do whatever you want with. Just throwing it out there.
No it won't, but but it would be pointless anyways. Aside from the throttle body fitment and a few hoses, they are internally identical. The biggest difference is that STI ones are red and DBC WRX ones are gray.
#6 Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
No it won't, but but it would be pointless anyways. Aside from the throttle body fitment and a few hoses, they are internally identical. The biggest difference is that STI ones are red and DBC WRX ones are gray.
I was more talking about being able to port and polish it and put whatever finish desired on it with no down time. Or even to use as a core for grimmspeed. Ill probably keep it and get it powdercoated one day anyway.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
I like the feedback. No i dont plan on getting it anytime soon. I have several mods before that would be done before i would do this so i could reap the full benifit of it. I just wanted to get the talk going on this particular part on ebay to see if it looked any good and was worth it. Like i said i am constantly searching the web for parts for this car and my 88 Conquest TSi that i am rebuilding. Every once in a while you find a gem in the pile of crap that is out there that maybe wasn't spotted by others yet.

Hell its things like this that i would even be the test subject for. But slightly modifing a $300 intake seems like a steal over $1100 intake if it is able to perform.

My current mods are Catless TBE, AP V3 @ stage 2 and i have a catless up-pipe and Tein springs on standby to be installed. My next mods are CAI, FMIC, 20g Turbo, 1000cc injectors, upgraded Fuel pump, 3 port boost soleniod and getting a pro tune. Which would all happen at once. I hopefully plan on buys these throughout the next few months if everything goes right.

#8 Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would be cautious buying ebay parts, especially something where construction quality can effect airflow. From looking at the ebay photos it looks like the welds are really thick and kinda un-even. Internal finishing quality is very important, looking at the outside I would pass.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#9 Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ View Post
I like the feedback. No i dont plan on getting it anytime soon. I have several mods before that would be done before i would do this so i could reap the full benifit of it. I just wanted to get the talk going on this particular part on ebay to see if it looked any good and was worth it. Like i said i am constantly searching the web for parts for this car and my 88 Conquest TSi that i am rebuilding. Every once in a while you find a gem in the pile of crap that is out there that maybe wasn't spotted by others yet.

Hell its things like this that i would even be the test subject for. But slightly modifing a $300 intake seems like a steal over $1100 intake if it is able to perform.

My current mods are Catless TBE, AP V3 @ stage 2 and i have a catless up-pipe and Tein springs on standby to be installed. My next mods are CAI, FMIC, 20g Turbo, 1000cc injectors, upgraded Fuel pump, 3 port boost soleniod and getting a pro tune. Which would all happen at once. I hopefully plan on buys these throughout the next few months if everything goes right.
You're going to need a few more parts beyond what's listed. That being said, a 20G will be a death sentence to an EJ205, especially if it's higher mileage. That turbo will make more power than those engines reliably hold. That's also still easily within what the stock manifold will hold. I wouldn't worry about getting one unless you're making upper 400s whp. There is no need for a test bed, these things have already been tried and shot down. Only the upper tier intake manifolds really do what they are supposed to do. And the Cosworth one I linked is actually one of the cheaper ones. The one you linked is a cheap rip off of this (ignore the complete baloney power gain claims the manufacturer made):

http://www.gruppe-s.com/taxonomy/term/521/all

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I was more talking about being able to port and polish it and put whatever finish desired on it with no down time. Or even to use as a core for grimmspeed. Ill probably keep it and get it powdercoated one day anyway.
Nope, this is why they won't fit.

#10 Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you are wanting to run a 20g you might as well just build the engine first and save yourself some time and heartache.
#11 Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You're going to need a few more parts beyond what's listed. That being said, a 20G will be a death sentence to an EJ205, especially if it's higher mileage. That turbo will make more power than those engines reliably hold.
Do you consider 85XXX high mileage? Why would that be a death sentence? Just because a turbo can push out crazy boost doesn't mean it needs to be set that high. I mean I could set it to max out @ 8psi if I wanted.

Its like the 1000cc injectors. Do I really need those at this point? No I don't think so. But at least I wont have to worry about being able to supply fuel. But I don't believe in buying things 2x.

I do plan on building the engine up next year. And do have high HP goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMNZ
My next mods are CAI, FMIC, 20g Turbo, 1000cc injectors, upgraded Fuel pump, 3 port boost soleniod and getting a pro tune. Which would all happen at once. I hopefully plan on buys these throughout the next few months if everything goes right.
Future mods I didn't really touch base on was Clutch, Tranny and suspension. My near future mod list is actually bigger and have it prioritized a little better than I stated.

But with all plans this might get pushed aside until a later date as I would love to get my Conquest back on the road again. I keep going back an forth on what I want done first. But I think the REX will win that war for now.