Intake dilemma. Stupid question. I know. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sborderz is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to sborderz
Intake dilemma. Stupid question. I know.

Alright, so I'm brand new here. I've been reading over this forum for a while now, and I just decided to join, and I'm going to start with what is probably a dumb question. I've read a lot about how short ram intakes don't really offer much, and can have a negative affect on how a wrx runs, so I want to know if I need to change anything. I bought my car used last June, and the origional owner had done two mods to the car. 1 - Pioneer dvd/navigation and sub. 2 - AEM short ram intake. It sounds entertaining, but I want to know if I would be better off trying to find a OEM airbox to put back in, or just leave the AEM one and stop worrying. Any help would be appreciated, and I'm new, so feel free to haze the new guy for asking such a question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 06:40 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I would get a stock airbox of Ebay and then sell your AEM back on Ebay.You might either break even or make money,but its the safest route to go for now.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
or buy the OEM air box and save the short ram for when you add more mods and one become necessary
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
The short ram on your car isn't really going to hurt anything, but it's not really going to benefit you alot either. The reason people are telling you to get a stock airbox is because when you get some engine management it will make tuning alot easier. The stock airbox is good to around 300 hp, after that it starts to become a restriction. This is when you should consider an aftermarket intake system.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
The short ram on your car isn't really going to hurt anything, but it's not really going to benefit you alot either. The reason people are telling you to get a stock airbox is because when you get some engine management it will make tuning alot easier. The stock airbox is good to around 300 hp, after that it starts to become a restriction. This is when you should consider an aftermarket intake system.
Are you talking crank or whp? If it's crank horsepower this means I should start looking to replace my OEM with a short ram intake before my turboswap.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
The short ram on your car isn't really going to hurt anything
Thats not completely true.Some can cause very lean conditions at tip in which is very disasterous for 04-05's but not good for 02-03's either.Not all intakes cause these problems (Cobb,Perrin,APS,Turbo XS) but the AEM intake is one that does.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/intakes/

http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sborderz is an unknown
Ok, so you guys really think I might be doing some damage to my engine in the long run? I know theyre not good, the only reason I ask is because the car came with it, so I didn't know weather to leave it there or take it off.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
If you car is otherwise stock and doesn't have any sort of engine management I would absolutely take it off. Your car is most likely running lean, which will cause detonation. I was showing interest in this thread because I have a heavy amount of mods (i.e. UP/TBE/18G turbo/tmic/injectors/pump..etc) and was curious about Stacy's remark of how the stock intake is only good up to 300hp. My setup is going to be making substantially more power than that at the crank.

I wouldn't even dare putting one on my car right now unless I had it re-tuned immediately after.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #9 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sborderz is an unknown
How about after stage 1, including tuning, still leave it off?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
I think an air intake is one of the last mods you should put on your car. And we're talking about having a heavy amount of mods before you put it on. Unless you plan on going past stage 2 (i.e. turbo, tmic, injectors, pump) then you are better off with a stock intake system.

- Sean
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #11 of 14 Old 02-15-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sborderz is an unknown
Yeah, I know you're right. It just bugs me because I never would have put that thing on my car, the guy before me did, so now I have to go through the hassle of finding an old one to put on there.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2006, 04:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
Are you talking crank or whp? If it's crank horsepower this means I should start looking to replace my OEM with a short ram intake before my turboswap.
Sorry Sean, I'm not 100% sure. I read a thread that Cosmo participated in saying that around that hp level, the stock airbox tends to become a restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum
Thats not completely true.Some can cause very lean conditions at tip in which is very disasterous for 04-05's but not good for 02-03's either.Not all intakes cause these problems (Cobb,Perrin,APS,Turbo XS) but the AEM intake is one that does.
For the most part, a short ram isn't as bad as a cai in the respect of afr's. The chances of doing any significant damage to an 02' is just that, a chance. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience with short rams. This was one of my first aftermarket parts that I did when I got my car, I had no problems with it at all. But, mine wasn't an AEM though.

As for the brands, I did not know that the AEM was suspect. Thanks for the enlightening me.

Also, I wasn't talking about the 04-05's since he doesn't own one. I was referring to the 02-03' WRX.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #13 of 14 Old 02-16-2006, 05:15 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I run the AEM Shrt ram and have not had any problems with it. Maybe luck of the draw. It does nothing really for performance. Sounds interesting though. Darth Vaderish.....
my.02

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #14 of 14 Old 02-16-2006, 06:46 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Sorry Sean, I'm not 100% sure. I read a thread that Cosmo participated in saying that around that hp level, the stock airbox tends to become a restriction.

For the most part, a short ram isn't as bad as a cai in the respect of afr's.
If you read the articles from the links i posted you will find that its doesn't really have to do with it being a C.I.A. or shorty.It has to do with the inner diameter of the pipe/MAF housing,turbulence created,and the angle of the MAF mount.Also a short ram COULD be worse (if it doesn't have a heat sheild) because sucking in the warm air is going to cause an even leaner condition.The I.A.T. sensor is intergrated into the MAF so its going to register that warm air ,before it even goes through the turbo,and tell the ECU it can cut back alittle fuel.In the Cobb link it states the stock box is good for at least 350hp before it becomes a real restriction.Most people run intakes and think everything is fine because they don't get a CEL but in reality the only real way to know is to log/watch your AFR's and EGT's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement