Installing a header on my 02' Wrx - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Ok, thanks guys. Yes, it is still the stock 2.0L and I just wanted to know what you all thought about what turbo that I should get and when I do get a new turbo what other parts im I gonna have to change around because of the change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you would need larger Fuel Injectors, larger Fuel Pump, better intercooler, new up-pipe, upgraded downpipe and catback exhaust

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#18 Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Also a good time to look into a 3 port BCS (like the grimmspeed unit) and possibly an intake if you want.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrum23 View Post
Like always thanks for your help! I already paid for my STI Hood Scoop and I will be getting it tomorrow. It's custom made and when I get it and put it on, I'll take a picture of it and post it. Also, I won't be doing it yet, but maybe by next spring; I was thinking about getting a bigger Turbo. Any suggestions on what brand or what kind I should get and what do I have to replace when I do get this new Turbo. I was thinking about getting one of the 20g from Blouch. Any thoughts on that?
'04-'05 style scoops look bad on bugeyes. They look awkward and don't follow the lines of the car at all. The only larger scoop that "works" is the same generation STI scoop, which is what the other guy was leading to. And I doubt yours was custom made, as replicas in your fitment have been cheaply mass produced in China for years.

Also, a 20G is entirely too large for both your stock WRX motor and transmission. One thing to considering how many miles are on the car. A larger turbo will only accelerate thing breaking, and on an older car this will be a more immediate issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
you would need larger Fuel Injectors, larger Fuel Pump, better intercooler, new up-pipe, upgraded downpipe and catback exhaust
And suspension and braking upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Just do a search on GT spec vs perrin.....

Not that I would get either, but from all reports the GT specs are a higher quality than perrin. If I ever go ELH I'm gonna wait for GrimmSpeed's to come out.
I know exactly the thread you're talking about. However fit and finish is more of the issue than actual sturdiness. Both are crack prone, but the GT Specs are more known for it (quite possibly perhaps because more people have them, I'll give you that one) and the Perrin will give larger gains. That a lot for someone who doesn't really like Perrin to say. There are very few actual GOOD headers out there because most manufacturers foolishly use T304 steel (thin T304 at that) where it should not be used. Full-Race is great but overpriced. There has also been a lot of hype for Killer-B's new header but I don't know anything about it.