Installing a header on my 02' Wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Installing a header on my 02' Wrx

Does anyone know how long and what all I will have to do when I go to install a header on my 02' WRX? Also, should a get a tuning kit for it and what's the best one to get? would it be a Cobb, or Perrin, etc.
Thanks,
Ricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
let's answer them in the order you asked:

1) 40mins to 1hr with basic tools

2) Yes you will need a tune, but there are no off the shelf tunes for a header. You will need a custom tune.

3) Perrin all the way.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
perrin sounds wierd to me. if you got the cash flow, get tomei EL headers. they come with instructions and a massive roll of heat wrap. if u dont have the cash go with Maddad EL header. very similar in design to the tomei but a little softer on the wallet.

Header

https://www.importimageracing.com/p/...RX-04-STi.html

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#4 Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Great!!!! Thanks Guys, I will give it a try. I will also get it dyno and tuned ( With the codes) after I put the Header, up pipe, STI hood, and the down pipe on, but do you guys recommend that I also get the cobb or Perrin Access PorT or would just taking it to the shop to get it dyno and tuned be enough?
#5 Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
just getting it dyno'd and tuned will be enough

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
GT Spec.... much better than perrin, and on par with Tomei.

-Chris
#7 Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
GT Spec.... much better than perrin, and on par with Tomei.
You're high. :eek:

GT SPEC and the other rebranded headers that are made by SSI (MadDad, Gruppe-S, Tomei) are junk. Perrin's header is the bottom of the barrel of what's considered acceptable as far aftermarket replacements. It's actually a pretty decent one of the few Perrin products worth getting.

OP, if you're getting custom tuned it doesn't matter which you get. Also, an STI hood will not fit on your car. Nor will a hoodscoop if that's what you meant.
#8 Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

GT SPEC and the other rebranded headers that are made by SSI (MadDad, Gruppe-S, Tomei) are junk. Perrin's header is the bottom of the barrel of what's considered acceptable as far aftermarket replacements. It's actually a pretty decent one of the few Perrin products worth getting.

OP, if you're getting custom tuned it doesn't matter which you get. Also, an STI hood will not fit on your car. Nor will a hoodscoop if that's what you meant.
Ok, thanks for the help! I was thinking about getting a custom tune, but was also wondering if I would also need an Access port to go along with it. I did mean an STI hood scoop. It's being custom made for me. I forget the company, but they are out of California.
#9 Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

1) YES you need a custom tune

2) No you do not need an accessport...an opensource tune is just as good and saves you the initial purchase of the accessport

3) PLEASE DO NOT GET THE STUPID SHOVEL SCOOP...just get the JDM STi scoop for the 01-02 STi Subaru Exterior

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#10 Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

Just do a search on GT spec vs perrin.....

Not that I would get either, but from all reports the GT specs are a higher quality than perrin. If I ever go ELH I'm gonna wait for GrimmSpeed's to come out.

-Chris
#11 Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rickyrum23 is an unknown
[QUOTE=basco;250300]1) YES you need a custom tune

2) No you do not need an accessport...an opensource tune is just as good and saves you the initial purchase of the accessport

3) PLEASE DO NOT GET THE STUPID SHOVEL SCOOP...just get the JDM STi scoop for the 01-02 STi Subaru Exterior[/QUOTE

Like always thanks for your help! I already paid for my STI Hood Scoop and I will be getting it tomorrow. It's custom made and when I get it and put it on, I'll take a picture of it and post it. Also, I won't be doing it yet, but maybe by next spring; I was thinking about getting a bigger Turbo. Any suggestions on what brand or what kind I should get and what do I have to replace when I do get this new Turbo. I was thinking about getting one of the 20g from Blouch. Any thoughts on that?
#12 Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you still have the 2.0 and realyl want the 20G go with the TD05-20G, will help with lag a little bit. Also look into the 18G. Either way Blouch is a great company to work with, and make awesome turbos.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

FP 68HTA...shameless sponsor plug...but in all seriousness this turbo is amazing...I've seen it put down 350+ awhp on a 2.0 and it spools like a 16G all for under $1000

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have heard good things about that turbo, just never seen one in person. I know that Blouch has "re-done" some of their turbos to be similar to the HTA line.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

like I said shameless sponsor plug lol...but really it is great

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt