Installing catback exhaust? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Duffie112 is an unknown
Installing catback exhaust?

How bad is the install on a catback system? How long does it normally take? Any tips? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's pretty easy - you'll be dealing with two spring bolts (or regular bolts if the factory spring bolts have been changed for whatever reason) and some rubber exhaust hangers. You might have to use some PB blaster on the spring bolts, a little lube on the exhaust hangers, and a fair amount of elbow grease on both, but it's really not a bad job if you have the correct size wrenches/sockets, a floor jack, and a set of jack stands (or access to a lift).

It shouldn't take you very long as long as everything cooperates. Make sure you use fresh gaskets, and pay particular attention to the type of gasket required between the downpipe and cat back (flat or factory/donut style).

What kind of cat back did you get or are you thinking about getting?

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Duffie112 is an unknown
I got the invidia n1 street exhaust with resonator. Does that come with the right gasket to mate to downpipe? Thanks for the reply
post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, it should be ok, but it's not an ideal connection (you'll see when you connect them - the flat gasket won't be used exactly like it should be).

I can say from personal experience that the HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back will fit with the stock WRX downpipe using a standard 3" 2-bolt exhaust gasket (I had mine that way for a few weeks before I changed my downpipe), so I'd imagine the Invidia N1 would also fit because it's the same style (3" pipe, angled exit).

Something else to note was that I was unable to re-use my stock spring bolts because the flange on the HKS cat back was thicker than the flange on the stock WRX cat back, so I wasn't able to compress the springs enough for the nuts to grab the threads on the spring bolts. Instead, I used some regular bolts/nuts that I had laying around.

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Duffie112 is an unknown
Ok cool im doing it tomorrow after work, it came with a piece you pit in the tip. Looks like a spark arrester. What is that for?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Might be a silencer. I wouldn't put it on unless you get a ticket or don't like how loud it is.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ That's my guess. Good luck with everything and feel free to post some pics of impressions of your experience of the install/after the install.

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Duffie112 is an unknown
Didnt get any install pics but here it is now.
Attached Images