Subaru WRX Forum banner

Installed Greddy Cat-Back. Need help please.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brandnukid 
#1 ·
My car:

2003 WRX

Hey guys,

I searched the forums but couldnt come up with a definite answer.

I recently purchased a Greddy Evo II Cat-Back from Craigslist. It was made for the STI but after some researched I learned it was the same thing just a bit longer on the tip.

I installed it last night and everything sounded good. This morning I started it up and it shot out some white smoke when I was reving the engine. I didnt even warm it up though.

I figured it might have been because the exhaust was sitting on the shelves for a bit and was just a bit dusty or I didnt wait to warm up the car.

I jacked up the car and did the soap and water test on the seals. The midpipe gasket was not the right size and it was not allowing it to bolt on correctly so thats where I figured the problem came from. I removed the gasket and bolted it up and after that it was running perfect without the white smoke any longer.

It did not matchup perfectly though there was a very tiny almost not even noticable crack between the seals (not the midpipe to the muffler) but it was bolted until I couldnt make it any tighter. Everything looks and sounds perfect but I was wondering if there is anything I can put on it just to be positive. I found some sealer at the auto store. It was like some putty stuff that evetually hardens. I just dont want it to be permanent incase I decided to evetually get the Hi-Power exhaust or even just get a downpipe.

My question is ... would it be necessary to put anything on? And if so, are their any suggestions.

Thanks a ton.

See less See more
#2 ·
if this is a crack on th emetal pipe itself have it welded up by an exhaust shop.

if its a gap in the mating surfaces, just double up 2 gaskets between the flanges. you can also use some hi-temp copper silicone rtv sealer as well. if that is the case that would work better than some epoxy junk. the epoxy would be a waste if this is the case

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.