Subaru WRX Forum banner

Installation of my downpipe and catback? need help

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Tuner05WRX 
#1 ·
Well i finally received my downpipe and exhaust and i was just wondering is it hard to get everything installed. I have enough common sense on vehicles but im always iffy to do things myself. Any help or suggestions would be great?

Eric.

#2 ·
Well I don't know what car you have, since you didn't put it in your info, but without being too specific, I'll tell you to spray every bolt holding the dp to the turbo, and holding each section of the exhaust together with wd40 or the like about a half hour before you plan to take everything off, then again 15 min before you plan to take everything off, then maybe one more time before you do it. If your downpipe is a bellmouth design, have some tin snips on hand to modify the heatshield. Oh, and take the 02 sensor off before you take the exhaust off. It helps to have a friend for this install.

#4 ·
Put her up on some jackstands and get to work. :p

An exhaust isn't too bad of a job, just time consuming. Take it apart in sections and it's going to be alot easier.

Air tools are nice, but not required.

#8 ·
on the topic of exhaust installs, i plan on doing a turboback exhaust for my 05 wagon, and i wanted to know if i needed to wire an o2 housings or like cell fixes and stuff like that, becuase i don't know any of that kind of stuff, and i would be getting one with a cat in the downpipe. thanks

#10 ·
dsmkid95 said:
im gonna go with it. it cant be any more than doing an intake on the car. just more pipes and more bolts. and plenty of WD40
Not sure that I would say its the same as an intake. While youre pulling thigs apart i would suggest getting a new uppipe as well. This will save time later as you have to remove the same parts again.

#11 ·
Ok, here we go. If you are going catless, you will need a cel fix. I wouldn't recommend going somewhere to do it though, that's a waste of money. You can run the car with the cel light on as long as you want, and you'll be fine. Check gruppe-s.com for a cel fix. They have a mechanical one that is supposed to work pretty well, you just probably need to reset the ecu. I got one from pony express performance, and it's an electric cel fix, but they don't make them for 05's. Now that you tell me you only have 3000 miles, wd40 shouldnt be as much of an issue, as nothing should be too rusted or stuck in place, but I would do it anyways. The cell fix from gruppe s can be found at the bottom of this page... http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subex.htm

Overall, I would highly reccomend doing this project yourself. You will run into annoyances, and it may seem like you can't do it at times, but you can. It's not hard, and it's definately worth it. If you have someone else do all the work on your car, you will never know how your own car works. Plus when you're done, it will feel amazing! Good luck, and feel free to post mid-project if you run into any problems.

#12 ·
pb blaster works much better than wd40. and if you don't have an uppipe yet don't do the dp untill you get one otherwsie you will be pulling it back off and everything else with it. it ain't that hard to do it is just time consuming and it would help if you had another set of hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.