Install/Uninstall of Torque Converter - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2003, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

minsin is an unknown
Install/Uninstall of Torque Converter

After long hours of research on modding my AUTO rex, I've decided to go for the Torque Converter mod option. But the question is, how do you uninstall/install it? Is there a website that can help me with this, or does anyone here know how to do this? ### help...

Question your very own EXISTENCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

DJSpaghetto69 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DJSpaghetto69
Here is the way to install a torque converter. First thing you need to do is take out the exhaust and the drive shaft as well as the front CV axle's. Once you get that done, you need to get the tranny (weighting @ around 165 lbs) supported with a trans jack. Also the starter needs to be taken off, so you can reach the flex plate/torque converter bolts. to do this, you have to remove the intercooler (Im pretty sure, the older turbo legacy was like this). After removing the mounts, sensors/wiring harnesses, and shift linkage unbolt the trans from the engine.... then slowly rock it back and forth till it pops free from the engine. Drop the tranny down with the trans jack. the torque converter will be on the front of the tranny. Grab onto the sides of the converter and pull. It should come right off... Inspect the front pump seal, make sure it isnt marred. Take the new torque converter, fill it with ATF. Slide it onto the imput shaft of the tranny. Please note, there are going to be 3 sets of splines in the torque converter that will rotate, so what you need to do is rotate the torque converter by hand right to left while pushing on it till it pops onto the next set of splines. Make sure the torque converter sits the same way in the bell housing as the OEM one. To reinstall, it is the opposite order. Also, when you slide the tranny back onto the engine, make sure you prealign the torque converter bolt holes with the flex plate (flywheel) because they will only align one way.

Good luck.

JDMness... Yum!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-24-2003, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

DJSpaghetto69 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DJSpaghetto69
Oops, I forgot the transcooler lines... P

JDMness... Yum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement