Im thinking of buying a 04-05 WRX, Or should I keep the 3000GT? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

max3 is an unknown
Im thinking of buying a 04-05 WRX, Or should I keep the 3000GT?

04-05 WRX 227 HP and 3,085 lbs or 3,185 lbs(sport package) - I think is faster from a stop and better acceleration.

My 94 3000gt FWD(Manual) - 216 or 222 HP and 3,197 lbs - Is fast on the highway and probably faster top speed, but can still do some fast 1st gear to 40 mph.

My 94 3000gt has been a good reliable fast car for me for the past 6 years. The 3rd and 4th gear went out so after I get a new tranny in it I think im going to sell it because i want something new. By the way I put a rebuilt engine with low miles on it 4 years ago, so If I sell it then I think i can get the most out of it.

Can someone direct me where there is a 04-05 WRX mod bible( a list of things/steps you should do before you mod your car & and then the steps to modd your car). (The 3000gt forum has one for their N/A 3000GTs) Or can someone tell me where a link is that needs to be done at certian age of the cars.

I want to buy a 04-05 WRX with hopefully around 70,000 miles for around $14,000. I want to modd it just to reach around 300HP or maybe 350HP. I dont want to over do it and spend too much money on the wrx because I rather just use all that spent cash for those mods and get a STI, because i do know the WRX's tranny meant to be lauched like the STI's and cant handle that launching tear all the time

However if it is fairly cheap to modd the WRX's to be 350hp I will get one
Anyone who ever bought mods for their car wrx to make it around 350 hp can you tell me a estimate on how much it cost or if you could list the parts that modded the car with their price. ( Ex. Wastegate, oil feed line if it doesnt come with the turbo)

I been to that webpage http://www.fastwrx.com/goinfasenand.html and it has stages you can do for your wrx with a estimated amount of HP you can get.

I know i can get a STI for $15,000 but i know it will have about 100,000+ miles on it and it will probably need to be replaced with its yearly age stuff eventually, plus the driver probably drove the crap out of it, so thats why im thinking of getting a WRX. - Plus I dont like the STI's spoiler and no sunroof due to its rally style. If I decide to keep the 3000gt then I will save money because all it needs is a new tranny and interior..

Thank you

Last edited by max3; 02-09-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
bhp or whp?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

max3 is an unknown
at the crank.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have 326 AWHP from a mustang dyno (parts list is in my profile), but my main power adder is my 20G swap (probably not the best turbo for a 2.0) but I probably have 4-5 grand in it, and getting ready to put more in it. Its all in what you like.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well we're all going to say get the WRX since we all have them. My car isn't the best to compare to since the 09's have 40 more hp to start with but I'm looking at spending around 3300 on just speed mods (about 5k total) and I should net over 300 awhp. I've seen an 09 with exactly the same mods except I have PnP'd headers coming today (YAY!) and he hit 312hp at the wheels on 92 octane at I believe 17 psi. I should be able to hit around that with my extra mods and altitude/crap gas. Now it may not be like this, but subtract the 40 extra HP I start at and maybe you can get to 270-280 at the wheels? Depends if that turbo can push that much air. You can check out my mods in my profile as I don't feel like listing them.

I would say most typical stageII 02-08 WRXs can get around 260-270 awhp pretty easily.

-Chris
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I've got a fully built 2.0 with about $13-14K invested in it and I run about 330whp all day and 400 with meth conservatively, but we have run the car upwards of 500awhp on race gas, look at my profile for mods list

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh and for top speed I've had my WRX at the limiter- 142 mph and still had at least a grand left before redline, which is a lot for 5th gear. I would say once I get the limiter removed I should be able to get close to 160. This was on the Bonneville Salt Flats by the way, not on public roads. Completely legal.

-Chris
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yeah durring the silver state classic last september I pegged out mine at 8K in 5th and my GPS was reading 17xmph I just cant remember the exact number

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I would say that a WRX is just as likely or even more likely to have the crap beat out of it than an STi. Also, getting close to 350hp at the crank on an STI means probably just a new downpipe and a tune.

I have a friend with the same 3000gt as you and it did not pull as hard as my wrx or sti. I am speaking from the experience of driving both cars, not a comparison of me racing him I have raced him as well (on a private road) and the wrx is a little bit faster.

He has had two 3000gts and blew the tranny on both, one is all wheel drive with aftermarket exhaust and feels comparable to my stock STi if not just a bit slower. He just replaced the tranny on that car, I think it cost him a few thousand and it took him almost a year to find a decent transmission to install. I know this for sure because he had no reverse for the entire year and only parked on hills or in pull through parking spots. Also, it took us like 80 hours to replace the transmission, a lot of other parts broke during disassembly and had to be ordered/found. Good luck if you go that route.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

sivart08 is an unknown
i just had a 93 stealth.. same thing as 3000gt.. and now i have an 03 wrx.. if your looking for power cheap go with a twin turbo 3000gt.. much better power gains... its around 300hp stock and there kinda cheap.. but after having both cars id rather have my wrx.. more parts and easier to find them... there both AWD and turbo.. the 3000gt has AWS.. also i think the stock wrx 205 is only good for like 400 hp before you will blow the engine..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement