Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   idle issues (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/idle-issues-29379/)

phatmike0704 08-29-2010 12:15 PM

idle issues

Background: 04 wrx, big 16g, modded injectors, grimmspeed ebcs, K&N CAI(but recently switched to short ram without tuning), type rs bov, 255 pump, silicon inlet, headers, up pipe, full exhaust, base tune from Matt at benchmark. Filled with 89 for a few months when i got it since it had no mods, but been doin 93 for the past 2 years after mods. Threw a code for cylinder 1 misfire last month but went away after i took the sparks out and put em back in

Issue: At idle, my vacuum is at -.05MPa-(-.06MPa) and everytime im just driving and come to stop, i let off the gas and pop in neutral and my rpms drop to 500 even lower sometimes and jumps back up to 800-900. I also feel some slight hesitation before 0psi and 1700-2000rpm.

What I done: Checked for leaks, found one in the inlet, fixed it and hesitation is gone. Sprayed maf with maf cleaner and cleaned IACV and replaced gasket.

2 months ago we had a nasty flood in chicago and i got stuck on a flooded street. I had my CAI on then. So i just drove real slow on the street tryin not suck up any water. But i did and my car died. I was cranking it constantly and white smoke kept coming out the exhaust. The car kept dying and i kept cranking and praying it wouldnt hydrolock. luckily it finally started and i was on my way. I think thats when my idle got jacked up. I think the MAF went bad or O2 sensor but im not throwing any codes. Is there anyway to test the MAF or O2 sensor?

Chase 08-29-2010 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Might be able to get them tested at subaru, but those both sound like good places to start. My bad o2 sensor made some pretty funky ideling and hesitation for me too. Check the hose in the pic too, right behind the alternator that connects to the blue nipple. It's easy to overlook, I had a crappy idle a month back because of it. But I think it usually throws a 0457 or something with it...

phatmike0704 08-29-2010 03:09 PM

i seen that hose before lol. its connected but where does the other end of it connect to? intake mani?

phatmike0704 08-30-2010 12:46 PM

if my maf or 02 sensor is going bad, wouldnt i get a code?

basco 08-30-2010 04:05 PM

not always

phatmike0704 08-31-2010 06:38 PM

well guess what, i checked all lines and redid all of them atleast 20 times. And now my car cranks and fires but dies right after. when i turn it on, it jumps to 1500rpm and and vacuum jumps to 0 and dies. i could keep it on if i keep reving it. but i hear a weird popping sound in the engine bay. Now i unplugged the maf and the car stays on but jumps to 3krpm and stays there, it drops to 2500 and keeps revving back upto 3k rpm. im getting suggestions on another forum that the IACV is bad, maf is bad and my car could be running rich or lean. please help guys, i been stuck on this for the past 3 days and dont what to do

here's my original thread at nasioc and appearently no one wants to help.
[url=http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047457]engine fires but dies HELP!!!!!!!! - NASIOC[/url]

Chase 08-31-2010 07:05 PM

Sorry man, you need to find a GOOD shop that'll work with you. I usually take my car in for diagnosis then do the work myself. Just tell them to figure it out and call you with the problem.
Find somewhere that doesn't charge 80 an hour for smoking a cigarette and scratching their head. And when you do find it, please post the results. I'm curious, sorry I'm not more help.

Again, I had a bad o2 sensor for 2 years and it never threw a code. I replaced it after it got physically damaged and it just happened to fix my idle issues. So, it can be a sensor without a code.

phatmike0704 09-01-2010 08:30 AM

gonna do a boost leak test today. will let u guys no whats up

basco 09-01-2010 09:39 AM

for it to run like that you've got to have a leak in your intake system after the MAF sensor, you might want to check the turbo inlet to see if it's collapsed or torn

phatmike0704 09-07-2010 05:44 PM

she's in the shop, let them deal with it now lol

phatmike0704 10-19-2010 03:39 PM

well got her back from the shop, swapped manifold and TB and still got my problem. rpms still drop, could it be a cracked ringland that causes this?