Subaru WRX Forum banner

I Want A Blowoff Valve!!!

9K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  WRXBullet 
#1 ·
Ive heard that putting on an aftermarket blowoff valve on a stock wrx makes it run like crap.Is this true? i really want that ppsshhh sound.:poorme:

#15 ·
any turbo that is capable of around 18+ I personally would want to upgrade just for the sake of doing away with one more weak link. Some stockers hold over some slightly less than 20PSI. Why not go with something that is designed to hold more pressure?

#17 ·
wow you guys need to stop bashing people for wanting a blow off valve, its his car let him do what he wants, like Jave said with his HKS, he likes it for hjim, not to impress other people, and im the same way, my car has never seen rough idling or build up on the bumper...and are you guys saying turbos arent capapble of over 20 psi??? come on now

ps...To the person who started this thread, to avoid people telling you to grow testicles...search the forums first for blow off valve threads, there are plenty of them

#20 ·
I Have Never Had Any Problems With My Bov, The Factory One Leaked And My Car Ran Like Shit. As Soon As I Got This One All The Problems Went Away. I Am Actualluy Selling A Type-s With A Flange To Mount It To The Stock Intercooler. Gunna Get A Front Mount With An Hks From A Buddy. So If You Want A Bov, Ive Got One That The Car Ran Just Like Stock With.

#21 ·
Yeah I havent seen this much bashing on this page in awhile.

The guy says he wants the Psshh sound, but, he doesnt want his car to run like crap. And he asked a question, "will BOV's make his car run like crap?" Unless you have experience buying and installing a BOV, then you have no business bashing it. Personally, I love the Psshh sound, I bought and installed a BOV and I love it. I havent noticed even the tiniest bit of difference with idle, spool, anything.

To answer your question wrxmike,
Many people with WRX's have gotten BOV's, just about every WRX owner Ive met has one. And not one of them has had a problem with them. The HKS SSQV is probably the most popular, its also the most expensive (I think). It has a real distinct high pitch PSST, it also can be fully atmospheric (blows all the air into the air) or you can dial it down so that it reuses some, just like the stock bypass valve. I have a TurboSmart V-Port fully atmospheric. It has a loud Psshh sound and I love it. Another popular one is the TurboXS RFL BOV. RFL means Really F**king Loud, and it is. The RFL, however, is a model that I have heard a few complaints about online, so you might want to search.

#27 ·
It all depeneds on your car, some people have them and it runs fine like my car. Other people put it on and it runs like shi*. Maybe they have a vacum leak maybe they dont have the valve adjusted who knows. If you want one get one and try it out.... mine is still for sale if anyone wants it!!!

#28 ·
You guys know what I used to do? On my blue WRX, I simply removed the recirc hose that the BOV connects to. = instant psssshshshssssss sound ROFL Then if your car runs good like that, either keep it or get a different BOV that vents to atmosphere. My car ran REALLY rich between shifts like that so I put the hose back on. Hearing the stock bov blowing off 14psi into the air next to a mustang was cool though during my test :p

#34 ·
I'll give my two cents... personaly I love the sound of bov. I had a forge on my wrx for aobut 6 months. It seemed to run fine with no ECLs. Also added some personality to the car- everyone seemed to like it. A week ago I broke up with my girlfriend of a year and needed something to do to keep my mind off things, so I decided to swap my bov back for my stocker to see if all the hype about bovs making ## car run like $@!% was true. At first I kinda noticed a difference... drove a little smother, and of course was alot quiter. Thought it was all in my head at first, but after a few times driving the car and letting the ecu adjust, it made a HUGE difference! My car drives soo much smoother than it had been... with next to no jerk when shifting (actually started a thread because my car jerked soo much before hand... ) and the turbo seemed to spool up faster. My dad and friend drove my car to see if they noticed a difference and they both agreed. Also, today a coworker of mine who is a mechanic said my cars exhaust sounds much better than before... sounded alot smoother. As much as I loved the sound, I'm definately not going to put it back on.

Soo IMO.. the bov is fun, but unless you actually need it for higher boost, the benifits of stock completely outweights what you get out of the aftermarket bov... which pretty much is just sound and a whole lot of griefe when you notice your car doesnt run like it used to!

Ohhh ya and just recently noticed my mpg has significantly increased! :rocks:

#40 ·
+1
I have had the Forge BOV on my 06 WRX for over a year. I love the sound of a BOV, thats why i have it. Its just one of those things that makes me smile whenever i shift! I've had no issues with idling or driving. BUT, just as you did, I took the BOV off and put the stock bypass valve back on. I noticed the same results: The car ran and shifted MUCH smoother with the stock bypass valve on.

For the MPG, i'm not 100% convinced that the BOV makes any difference. Take into consideration you're keeping the car under boost a lot more to hear the sound, which is going to use more fuel compared to when you have the stocker in and probably taking it much easier on the car. I see anywhere from 24 to 29 MPG with or without the BOV depending on how hard I drive it and how much is city/interstate.

#35 ·
Heres a suggestion that I dont think anyone brought up besides the recirculating BOV, GoFastBits.com has a BOV made especially for the WRX which puts about 50 percent of the air back into the system so the car still registers the airflow and the other half is put into the atmosphere. I think its the Hybrid version of the BOV, around 300 bucks USD new. So with the BOV it will solve your problem, youll get the sound (maybe not as loud as you want but still there) and the stock settings with a better crafted BOV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.