I've gone off the pill - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
I've gone off the pill

When I was at stage III UTEC and was dialing in the abc, I inadvertantly got boost briefly up to 19.3 psi.

Two weeks ago I got the stage IV install with an 18g and an aftermarket turbo inlet hose, then a week later a tune. On the dyno I couldn't get over 13.9 lbs, but during the road tune the tuner got it up to 17.5.

The car's a beast and the tune's smooth, thanks to the work of the top-flank tuner who flew in for the week. I'm having a blast driving it, but...

I was expecting to have to restrain myself from setting boost in the 20s, not to be wondering why the heck I can't even reach 18 psi.

Turns out the brass restrictor pill between the compressor side of the turbo and the stock solenoid is missing. If this is the culprit, I'm figuring it was tossed when the turbo was installed, given my stage III experience.

I've searched the boards and read all about the pill that's out there. Here are my questions to the helpful and knowledgeable, with my thanks!

1. Do you think it's the pill, or do I need ebc or a beefier solenoid?

2. How involved would it be for someone who knows their way around a UTEC to modify the tune if I put a pill back in?

3. If this were your ride, what would you do?
a. put in the pill and let the tuner talk a less experienced but local pro through the mapping adjustments?

b. wait six months to a year 'til the tuner comes back to town, then spend another bundle on a new tune with the pill?

d. forget the pill and be happy with the great tune at 17.5 lbs?
4. Aside from the UTEC map adjustments, could there be a downside to getting back on the pill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Put the restrictor back in. Tuning is a very simple process. Anyone with a basic knowledge of tuning can do it. You don't need to pay someone a lot of money to do it.
#3 Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Thanks, Coz! That's reassuring. Any negative effects to look for, I mean is this completely safe after the touchup tune?
#4 Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well, your AFR and timing shouldn't change that much. All you will basically be doing is lowering the boost map.
#5 Old 03-22-2005, 11:15 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I'd say get the pill and tune it yourself or have a local help you out. It is pretty easy.
#6 Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Talked to my tuner today. Turns out a number of out-of-state guys who came to our dyno day are convinced our local 92 octane is more like 91. The tuner's saying I should stick with 17.5 el bees to avoid det with this stinkin' gas. Says it might pay off for me to consider WI and that I should put the pill back in then.

Your thoughts?
#7 Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

You don't need water injection. I have never seen the benefit on a street car. On a race car that operates at full boost all the time, it is a good idea. A properly tuned engine won't knock on 91 or even 89 octane.
#8 Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Thanks, Coz. Does maxing psi at 17.5 on 91 sound right to you? What other information would you need to answer this?
#9 Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, I'd need to see a log to say for sure. As long as your AFR is set correctly, and your injectors never go much over 90%, you should be fine.
#10 Old 03-24-2005, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

ngeren is more helpful than not
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737712

Just FYI .. Here is a nice WI/18G for you, doesn't look like he is running an external gate and still is coming up with some good numbers.
#11 Old 03-24-2005, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
Thanks, Coz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeren
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737712Just FYI .. Here is a nice WI/18G for you, doesn't look like he is running an external gate and still is coming up with some good numbers.
Thanks. Those numbers make my red American blood want some of that! What say you, ngeren, to Cosmo's comments on WI and the street vehicle?
#12 Old 03-25-2005, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

ngeren is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleubaru
Thanks, Coz.Thanks. Those numbers make my red American blood want some of that! What say you, ngeren, to Cosmo's comments on WI and the street vehicle?
His comments are great. He is thinking of safety first. I'm using my WI to hit 25 PSI without snapping something, however if the pump goes or it gets clogged, It'll go boom. I realize my car is not going to last very long with the power I have and I'm OK with that. If you want your car to last, I would sit around 300 whp and be happy. If not, get ready to start spending some $. My friend just popped his 2.0L with his green, I will be putting a 2.5 short block in it this weekend.