HY-35 Build - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
HY-35 Build

Just thought I'd throw some info down on my build just in case anyone was thinking of going this route. Was not looking for huge power just something different. I started with a 04 wrx that had some mods done to make it look like an sti. It had an after market Chinese turbo and a good down pipe (unsure on brand but was good quality metal). I picked it up from a dealer that could not get the security system to stop to let him start or drive the car. I picked it up for 6500 bucks. I then started collecting parts and so far so good. Should have it running by the weekend. It has a hy-35 holset turbo w/9cm^2 exhaust housing. Custom up and down pipe. It's waste-gated with a 38mm greddy external waste-gate. I also have a tial bov, a fmic, denso 750cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, tgv deleted, clutch delay valve is gutted. My friend has custom built most of the piping and i will try to include a bunch of pics on this post. We plug welded the internal waste gate of the turbo and he has a metal punch press so we made a flange for the down pipe to the turbo. It turned out absolutely perfect imo. I also have a pdx tune for the time being so i can break in my stage 2 act clutch. This will give me my 1000 mile break in then I can hit the dyno in Minneapolis :disco:. Any questions let me know! Thanks for reading guys! :ritz:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
More pics of the process

#3 Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Sounds like a well thoughtout setup capable of some pretty good power, although I wouldn't push that EJ205 too hard then tend to let go around 350-370 awhp

and don't be too surprised if you start having gearbox issues at that power level especially with the Stg2 clutch, the gearboxes in the 02-07 WRX are like glass

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
Yea i thought about that. My tuner says he went conservative at around 300awhp. Thanks for the input!
#5 Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
You're gonna be wanting to turn that up the second you feel the power! What are you using for a fuel pump, the stock barely supports the stock turbo, also if I were you I would really consider running a larger injector at 300awhp you will be pretty close to maxing those out

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
(He mentioned a Walbro 255)

Thanks for posting such a detailed intro... I really enjoyed the pics. Keep us updated.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
Yes i do have a walbro 255 and i have denso 750cc injectors. We have the car together and running.. ish.. I am still working with me tuner via telephone haha. I am working up to having it dynotuned as soon as the clutch is broke in. It looks just sick. Also having some trouble with the stereo but that a different story all together. I will update some pics hopefully today sometime of the bumper back on and the engine bay. Thanks for the input!
#8 Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Clutch delay? I thought that was a myth.

#9 Old 04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

nope it's there, theres a decent amount of delay too, have your buddy push in the clutch one time while your looking a the slave cylinder

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#10 Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Dang. Never even looked. I remember reading about that as something they "added" to the '03 WRX, back when I owned my '02, but never saw it confirmed. I kind of assume the '02 probably had it too then. Not to thread jack.

#11 Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
Yep its in line with the slave, just remove the line and pop out the platic pieces and 2 springs. Works great!
#12 Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes the 02's have it as well

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
smart idea to cut apart the bumper reinforcement to fit the fmic. it may have done before,ive just never seen that. good work on the build
#14 Old 04-14-2011, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

robpreuss is an unknown
Thanks for all the comments. Had to lengthen the intake today because my maf was to close to the turbo creating a swirl. Also knocked it down to a 3" intake from the 4" so hopefully i get a good read on the incoming air. Thanks for the comments!