hp/torque difference? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 10-12-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
wags528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
Images: 6
wags528 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wags528
that's what i found out today from a local garage - apprently the emissions testing has changed in PA and all they do is plug into your car and check for errors - - - they guy i talked to said they dont even do a visual inspection for cats . . . im gonna check with a couple other places and if this is true, ill be running catless very shortly
wags528 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 24 Old 10-12-2004, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,591
Images: 15
Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Sh!t, in 15 minutes! I need you when I get mine. I'm just worried about too much heat from the downpipe without a heat shield.
The first time takes a little longer because you have to get rid of all the heat shields and stuff...

But don't worry about heat. The stock downpipe is cast iron which is a good conductor of heat. The aftermarket ones are stainless steel which is a very poor conductor of heat. Plus, catalytic converters need to be hot to work, so they get hot and retain that heat, thus making everything else around them hot. The catless downpipes obviously don't have that problem.
Cosmo is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 10-12-2004, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
bah14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 266
bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags528
all they do is plug into your car and check for errors - - - they guy i talked to said they dont even do a visual inspection for cats . . . im gonna check with a couple other places and if this is true, ill be running catless very shortly
I love catless. Here in ohio, i've never heard of emissions testing unless your car is smoking.

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
bah14 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Bullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 356
Bullit is an unknown
So I can get the helix catless down pipe and be ok heat wise?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
The first time takes a little longer because you have to get rid of all the heat shields and stuff...

But don't worry about heat. The stock downpipe is cast iron which is a good conductor of heat. The aftermarket ones are stainless steel which is a very poor conductor of heat. Plus, catalytic converters need to be hot to work, so they get hot and retain that heat, thus making everything else around them hot. The catless downpipes obviously don't have that problem.
Bullit is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
RPFRIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 142
RPFRIDE is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags528
that's what i found out today from a local garage - apprently the emissions testing has changed in PA and all they do is plug into your car and check for errors - - - they guy i talked to said they dont even do a visual inspection for cats . . . im gonna check with a couple other places and if this is true, ill be running catless very shortly

catless if you can handle the noise
RPFRIDE is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,591
Images: 15
Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
So I can get the helix catless down pipe and be ok heat wise?
Yep. And, if you look at your hood scoop, the passenger side of it doesn't hit the intercooler. The air flowing through it hits the downpipe, helping to keep it even cooler.
Cosmo is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member
 
wags528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
Images: 6
wags528 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wags528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFRIDE
catless if you can handle the noise
i just sent u a pm - - i live in norristown and wanted to see if we could get together - id like to check out your car . . .
wags528 is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 12:39 PM
 
IBAUCLAPlaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,488
Images: 8
IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah14
I love catless. Here in ohio, i've never heard of emissions testing unless your car is smoking.
E-check man. Its here. Every two years you have to go.
IBAUCLAPlaya is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 10-13-2004, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
SloRice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 329
Images: 4
SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
E-check man. Its here. Every two years you have to go.
Not all counties in the NEOhio region have E-Check. I don't think the Cleveland counties have it. Just the south Cleveland/North Akron counties do...i.e. Summit, Portage and a couple others.


bah14: not sure if you're on it, but check out www.lersoc.com Also, I saw your avatar and see you autox - well there is a FREE Subaru Challenge at BeaverRun this Sunday (10/17) Hope to see you there.
SloRice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome