Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   HP gain from a turboback? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/hp-gain-turboback-5351/)

bucwylde22 06-20-2004 12:18 AM

HP gain from a turboback?

I have only had my WRX for a little over a month, but I was looking into turbo back exhausts, or maybe even a cat-back.
I was wondering what is the average horsepower gain for these types of exhausts, and if I would do a turbo-back exhaust, would a high flow cat make it legal here in VA?

I don't want to void my warranty either, and i heard that subaru is pretty touchy about things like this.
regardless, I want to get some more power and get my car to sound a little better.
I do not plan on doing any major upgrades to my WRX anytime soon, focusing on paying it off before i really get into going to the engine internals. Like to just stick to a couple bolt-ons to keep me satisfied.
any info would be appreciated, thanks

Cosmo 06-20-2004 12:38 AM

Well, in this part of VA, nobody uses a sniffer, and there are several places you can get most anything inspected.

Technically, if an aftermarket part doesn't directly cause the problem you bring your car in for, they can't void the warranty. However, I have heard all kinds of horror stories when it comes to Subaru warranties. However, it is only a 15-20 minute job to change out a turbo back, so I would just change back to the stock one if you need to get any warranty work.

And, to answer the most important question, a turbo-back will gain approximately 20 hp.

Prophet 06-20-2004 09:51 AM

Yeah, I was wondering the same things about this part of VA. So no cats = a-ok Cosmo? I guess worst case is that I won't pass inspection and have to come home and put the stock downpipe back on once a year, which I could probably do myself once I get some help installing it the first time.

IBAUCLAPlaya 06-20-2004 12:16 PM

With a good tune on a UTEC or something of that equivalence you could get up to 30 whp for the turboback.

Nytmare 06-20-2004 02:40 PM

Well, Turbo XS claims 26.5whp from just their turboback...

I got the Vishnu turbo back and 321 uppipe, and they claim 9 (I think it's 9) whp from just the uppipe. Maybe another 20whp from the turbo back as well.

IBAUCLAPlaya 06-20-2004 02:42 PM

That 26.5 whp is from the car w/ a UTEC to the car w/ a UTEC and their turboback. Also an uppipe doesn't add any power it just allows you to safely raise boost.

Cosmo 06-20-2004 03:15 PM

Well, I know several people who are running catless in this part of VA, and have had no problems. However, I would [i]never[/i] do that because it is illegal...

bucwylde22 06-20-2004 08:29 PM

yeah, I, too, would like to stay legal. Or at least as legal as possible.
I would definitely need the high flow cat as long as it would make the exhaust legal.

I just want some good horsepower without major engine work.

So I am definitely thinking that a turbo-back is the way to go. Installation simple?

I just can't believe I'll have to spend 1,000+ for an exhaust...

oh well, modding these cars definitely isn't cheap ;)

IBAUCLAPlaya 06-20-2004 09:02 PM

Turboback install is easy, just follow TXS's instructions. If you want the same horsepower for the same price w/ easier installation, you should get a UTEC.

Abaddon 06-21-2004 07:36 AM

Technically any aftermarket exhaust in the state of VA is illegal. I had a friend of mine come visit me at school about a year ago and he got pulled over, doing the speed limit, because of his aftermarket exhaust. The law specifically states that it is illegal for any car on a VA highway to have any exhaust other than stock. But I think it all depends on where you are. He got pulled over in Botetourt(sp?) County and I haven't really had any problems in Blacksburg. I did have a close call in Floyd tho....