How to increase boost? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

burkej62 is an unknown
How to increase boost?

Can the boost be adjusted through the ECU?

I normally use a mbc but after some searching everyone frowns upon them so I was curious just how you do it? I'm tuning myself with enginuity and ecu flash .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
theres nothing wrong with mbc or ebcs....i dont know who you've been talking to. I run the greddy pro spec ebc and its just fine. Turning the boost up without tuning won't be good for your car no matter how you do it...maybe thats why they frown on them? Id acually vouche for a boost controller if you upgrade your turbo...stock solenoid sucks.

two sexy asses
#3 Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgprestige15 View Post
theres nothing wrong with mbc or ebcs....i dont know who you've been talking to. I run the greddy pro spec ebc and its just fine. Turning the boost up without tuning won't be good for your car no matter how you do it...maybe thats why they frown on them? Id acually vouche for a boost controller if you upgrade your turbo...stock solenoid sucks.

Partially right. An MBC sucks, there were too many stories of 02's blowing their engines and turbo's from these things. An EBC with a protune will work just fine and is a good setup.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#4 Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you guys are giving answers to a question he did not ask

1) Raising the boost WITHOUT re-tuning (dealing with the ECU) is ALWAYS bad, no matter what kind of boost controller you use (MBC, EBC, whatever).

2) Yes, you can adjust the boost simply through re-flashing the ECU. This is the BEST way to do it because it's easy to adjust other parameters while you're in there as well to compensate.

3) IF IF IF you already have a means of tuning and want to replace the stock solenoid, than an EBC can do wonders at helping you maintain a more consistent boost. This of course requires you already have tuned the thing to use it.

The fist engine mod you do is the ECU and every other engine mod you do should be accompanied by ECU adjustments as need AS WELL.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

burkej62 is an unknown
Thats what I was looking for, I'm installing my wideband soon and haven't messed with changine maps or anything But I have been doing alot of reading and I'm sure if I can handle a honda with chrome I can handle this ... I didn't know if the boost was adjustable though the ecu map but it looks like it is . Awesome thanks guys
#6 Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

mikeydotkom6 is an unknown
i took a road trip to nevada and i got higher boost level the closer i got to sea level, i live at a pretty high altitude and i dont get as much air as you guys would a mbc help?
#7 Old 02-19-2008, 05:56 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
a MBC WITHOUT tuning is a bad idea. An EBC with tuning would help your issue, yes.

However, some change in performance due to altitude is EXPECTED and A GOOD THING. One of the strengths of letting the ECU handle boost control rather than doing it manually is the car can dynamically adjust for things like altitude changes.

Will you make more power at substantially lower altitudes? Hell ####ing yes. You can't change the laws of thermodynamics with a MBC either you know. Denser air = more power.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rob@CSS is an unknown
Honestly if you have a laptop you can get a tactrix cable and a pre made tune cheaper than a lot of ebc. That will fix your boost and your tune all for about 140.00 including the cable which can be reused.
#9 Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgprestige15 View Post
theres nothing wrong with mbc or ebcs....i dont know who you've been talking to.
Myabe because most people use them without retuning................

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

burkej62 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@CSS View Post
Honestly if you have a laptop you can get a tactrix cable and a pre made tune cheaper than a lot of ebc. That will fix your boost and your tune all for about 140.00 including the cable which can be reused.

I've got the cable and the software

Can I make my own maps ? Or can I only flash the ECU myself?
#11 Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

With the right software you can edit and flash maps. I recommend reading a rediculous amount before you even attempt editing. Hve you read the opensource stickies?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#12 Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

burkej62 is an unknown
Yes, I have read the stickes. I have read alot and I know how to flash maps by memory now but I'm not quite sure how to edit my maps . I'd like to go save my current map, get a datalog with it then see what ya'll think then bump up the boost and re log and see where I need to adjust . Am I on the right track here ?
#13 Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

White GDA is an unknown
It's not that simple bro...like "bumping up boost".

Ign anf fuel also need to be adjusted to ensure no detonation.

Aren't there any free OTS maps you can try (someone can make an input here).
#14 Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

If you think you've read enough you haven't. You need to tune fuel first, then timing, and lastly boost. Can't just crank up the boost than make everything else play catch up.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#15 Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

burkej62 is an unknown
Where could I find some maps to check out? I'd like to look into some