Hot exhaust after turbo upgrade - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Sorry, but I can't see why no one else caught that before me. FOL...
I assumed he had a tune at least with a turbo of that size and at least some supporting fuel mods . I figured if i asked about a tune I would just be Guess i was way off!

You sir need to revert back to the stock td04 until you can get a tune and the mods to support a turbo like that. Upgrading turbos without a proper tune, fuel delivery, and cooling capacity is a big :nono. Even the catless exhaust and k&n really should be tuned for. Like Tyler said, surprising this is your only problem.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
His up-pipe is so hot because his EGTs are telling him that he's currently in the process of destroying his motor.

There's about $10-15,000 in upgrades you need to do before throwing a GT30 on.

This thread is why some people should NEVER modify cars.
Oniookami29 likes this.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bugeye03 is an unknown
I understand injectors and all that would help greatly, it's a matter of money at this point. Have good tires and struts, bigger breaks down the road. I know im getting by with the setup I have. Im not interested in a FMIC, I know with a better TMIC i can cool the air enough to not have much effect. Grimmspeed makes a good one. The car is tuned for the 3" exhaust from head to tail already. It was a pain in my ass getting that thing to fit stock location, I know its the biggest turbo you can physically fit in that location. I now I have a shit ton of work ahead of me. I'm driving the car easy for now, im not gonna break her yet. Its really all great advise, trust me im taking note. I really just want ideas on this hot ass exhaust and why the hell I get this code now. I erased the CEL code and it came back on about a week later. I dont think its a bad sensor. So why is that light on??
post #19 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Take the turbo off and sell it, or the car. Your choice. If you sell the car, just be sure to tell the perspective owners that the engine may be on it's way out.
psinuse likes this.
post #20 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bugeye03 is an unknown
A buddy has a 2004 sti with the same turbo and hasnt had breakdowns derived from the turbo. Im not turning this into a race car. This turbo has so much more potential I can pull out of it when I get the right parts. Im doing my best to keep this car healthy with the set up I have. As i mentioned above. Im more curious about the hot exhaust. The engine runs normal temperature.
post #21 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I didn't say that $10-15k was optional.

If you're trying to run a healthy setup, you're well on your way to a healthy, brand new engine replacement. Take the turbo off and hope you haven't melted a piston.
psinuse likes this.
post #22 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye03 View Post
As i mentioned above. Im more curious about the hot exhaust. The engine runs normal temperature.
Keith (psinuse)answered you in a nutshell ... look back.
psinuse likes this.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #23 of 37 Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
This guy should not be modifying his car. The guys on here no there shit man. Take there advice before you blow your motor. Pull turbo and and put back to stock that turbo has no reason being on your car with out the supporting modifications. Your trying to save money but what your actually gonna do is screw your motor and cost
You a shit load more down the road. If you can't afford to do something right don't do it man

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
psinuse and arewmors like this.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye03 View Post
I understand injectors and all that would help greatly, it's a matter of money at this point. Have good tires and struts, bigger breaks down the road. I know im getting by with the setup I have. Im not interested in a FMIC, I know with a better TMIC i can cool the air enough to not have much effect. Grimmspeed makes a good one. The car is tuned for the 3" exhaust from head to tail already. It was a pain in my ass getting that thing to fit stock location, I know its the biggest turbo you can physically fit in that location. I now I have a shit ton of work ahead of me. I'm driving the car easy for now, im not gonna break her yet. Its really all great advise, trust me im taking note. I really just want ideas on this hot ass exhaust and why the hell I get this code now. I erased the CEL code and it came back on about a week later. I dont think its a bad sensor. So why is that light on??
If you understand it then do it. Your trying to justify doing stuff incorrectly to a guy that has probably been working on cars since before you were born. Simply put you don't know what your doing and when the car blows up your gonna blame Subaru or the previous owner like everyone else that did/does it wrong. At least 2 of us have told what is wrong and how to fix it, simple choices.
boo-key and 06_hawk_eye like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #25 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I assumed he had a tune at least with a turbo of that size and at least some supporting fuel mods . I figured if i asked about a tune I would just be Guess i was way off!

You sir need to revert back to the stock td04 until you can get a tune and the mods to support a turbo like that. Upgrading turbos without a proper tune, fuel delivery, and cooling capacity is a big :nono. Even the catless exhaust and k&n really should be tuned for. Like Tyler said, surprising this is your only problem.
Not trying to be a d!ck about it...but, if its one thing that I've learned. I never assume anything about anyone.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #26 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Not trying to be a d!ck about it...but, if its one thing that I've learned. I never assume anything about anyone.
Yes you are....
06_hawk_eye likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #27 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
And I even gave you a compliment in another thread.

Kirt
post #28 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
And I even gave you a compliment in another thread.
Pretty sure I gave you rep points in another thread as well there slim pickens...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #29 of 37 Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

This very thread...can't see rep in the App.

Kirt
post #30 of 37 Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
No offence taken......dick! Just kidding man! No more assumptions about others!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!