Hot exhaust after turbo upgrade - Subaru WRX Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

bugeye03 is an unknown
Hot exhaust after turbo upgrade

Hi!

Im throwing CEL 0546 which is HOT uppipe exhaust sensor from what I've read on here. I recently replaced the stock TD04 turbo with a Garrett GT30BB and just ran into my first problem. I have catless exhaust throughout the car and have for years. I've never thrown this code until I started driving with my new turbo, even with the catless uppipe, it has never caused a problem in the past. I didn't change anything else besides the turbo. I still have an OEM TMIC and K&N filter feeding the turbo. IM trying to figure out why I am running hot here. I understand the sensor can be removed and tricked with a resistor, but I'd like to fix this problem the right way. I dont know if i need a bigger intercooler now? if my timing is off and im shooting flames down my exhaust (dont think this is the problem cause it was just highway driving when the CEL started). Does anyone have any idea?? please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Just guessing here but, maybe the sensor is bad. I don't think it would have anything to do with the turbo since the sensor is pre-turbo. Intercooler upgrades are almost a must on the wry when upgrading the turbo though. I would defiantly upgrade that as well.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
K&N filter? what intake do you have on there? Have a way to show us the temps you are reaching?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Did you even tune the car for the new turbo?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Did you even tune the car for the new turbo?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
^^This. A GT30 turbo is a huge turbo compared to stock. Did you upgrade everything else to go with it as well?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
My brain wants to explode right now......
turmic and BLAZE2099 like this.
#7 Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
My brain wants to explode right now......
Put down the keyboard and walk away sir....
brfatal, turmic, BLAZE2099 and 1 others like this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Sorry, but I can't see why no one else caught that before me. FOL...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
He still hasn't replied to anything... ugh

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#10 Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
He still hasn't replied to anything... ugh
Happens a lot.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Happens a lot.
Doesn't make it right.... ghey

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

bugeye03 is an unknown
Sorry to get back so late. I havent had a change to get it tuned. Im running the new turbo at 14 lbs, which is what i ran my TD04 at. Im just getting a quicker spool time, but not much more additional punishment to the car. I dont imagine ratios have changed much since im running the same PSI, I was thinking this turbo is creating hotter air which is in return being forced through the motor back up the uppipe. Its just weird this happened fairly soon after I installed the turbo. If it is a broken sensor that would be some timing on the sensors part. I cant tell how hot my exhaust is but i now its hot enough to throw this code.

What do you mean upgrade everything else aswell?
still have stock TMIC, BOV what parts are you referring to when you say upgrade aswell?
#13 Old 08-04-2013, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye03 View Post
Sorry to get back so late. I havent had a change to get it tuned. Im running the new turbo at 14 lbs, which is what i ran my TD04 at. Im just getting a quicker spool time, but not much more additional punishment to the car. I dont imagine ratios have changed much since im running the same PSI, I was thinking this turbo is creating hotter air which is in return being forced through the motor back up the uppipe. Its just weird this happened fairly soon after I installed the turbo. If it is a broken sensor that would be some timing on the sensors part. I cant tell how hot my exhaust is but i now its hot enough to throw this code.

What do you mean upgrade everything else aswell?
still have stock TMIC, BOV what parts are you referring to when you say upgrade aswell?
So you have stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock top mount. And no tune? I'm kind of surprised this is the only check engine light you have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#14 Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Also should really look into suspension and brakes and a good set of tires if you haven't done that yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#15 Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

With a GT30 you should have upgraded injectors, fuel pump, intercooler(probably front mount) and a tune at the least....You do realize that a stock TD04 doesn't push the same CFM as a GT30? At 14 psi you are probably pushing almost twice the amount of air....

Td04 is 380 cfm and the GT30 is around 750cfm...so yeah big difference there.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...