hks dp - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
umm... read the rest of my post
I did and I will still say they are only good for a paper weight. I have used one in my car to. it was not a bell mouth. So I did not know the diff. but then I changed to a bell mouth and got rid of HKS. And my car runs so much better. but thats all IMO. some people say there cars run fine with a BOV. I gusse it all depends on the car. but if your going to get a HKS (which I would not do) get a bell mouth. stay away from ones that are not a bell mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I tried to find some dyno plots, but this is all I could find:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant Autospeed View Post
Honestly there is almost no performance difference. despite what people like to think. The HKS has a 3" pipe directly behind the outlet of the turbine. This is 95% of the important part.
At "stage 2" power levels the HP difference is tiny. We are talking 5whp or thereabouts.
The separate tube like above is really not effective because the WG flapper does not open directly into it, the WG only opens a little bit, and the flow is directed over and into the main flow, which will go into the 3" hole in the HKS pipe anyway. I have seen all sorts of downpipes on the dyno, and the only major differences come from non mandrel bent pipes or the difference between catless and high flow cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow View Post
I have seen them back to back on the dyno, there simply is not that much of a difference unless you are making big power...
My FXT regularly mauled cars with bellmouths and similar mods to mine when I had the HKS on it (before I went EWG that is, which is why I had the HKS to begin with)... I stand by there being very little to almost no difference. And I know a couple big name tuners that will back me up on that. I am basing my statement off my experiences with it (a lot, I do tuning here and there, and over the years I have run into this DP many times) as well as those couple other guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentsport View Post
I made 400whp with an HKS downpipe (internal gate) My friend with the exact same setup made 400whp also with a bellmouth downpipe (forgot which kind off hand) I like the HKS as it's cheap, 3'', and catless. Plus if you want to add an EWG upipe it is very easy to fit with the HKS.

Louis
DSG - DENT Sport Garage - Self Built. A sport garage in Norwood, MA. USA
781-551-3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK508 View Post
when i had my Vf34 setup i made 318whp of course using meth..........but it was with the Old HKS blank plate Downpipe. To give you a comparison. My friend got tuned who had the identical setup that i did EM and all EXCEPT he was using a Helix Bellmouth downpipe.

Want to guess the difference .................4hp. And i had more hp.
If you've been around the forums for a while, you'll know these guys aren't stupid. Sure, there are intelligent people, including tuners, that disagree with them, but the important thing to note is that the hks vs. bellmouth debate remains controversial, and that is because the relevant evidence is inconclusive. If the power difference was large enough to matter (for small turbo applications), this would not be the case. If you think that your new bellmouth downpipe transformed your car, that's fine. Believe whatever you want; just DON'T spread false information and place your feelings and impressions on a pedestal, lest anyone interpret them as fact.

Btw, "runs so much better..." What does that mean? Your car idles smoothly? Accelerates more smoothly? Makes more power (up top or all around)? Hits peak boost earlier? Holds boost longer? When you're done answering that, I'd also like to know... did you change anything on your car about the same time as the downpipe (oil, filters, other mods)? Have you ran any logs? Gotten your car tuned? If you are not prepared to give appropriate answers, instead of saying, "my car runs so much better," you ought to say, "I think my car runs better, but I have no evidence to support this claim, and it is entirely possible that this feeling is nothing more than a placebo."

If you STILL think the hks downpipe is "only good for a paper weight," then I will repeat my last request; read my posts. Except this time, try learning a thing or two about reading comprehension first.
#18 Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
I will still say it's only good for a paper weight.... and when I say it "runs better" it runs better all around spools faster holds boost everything. with that said I did not know how much better a bellmouth one was till I put one on. and yes I did get it pro tuned... anything else you want??
#19 Old 05-17-2009, 11:17 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
well post your dyno sheets from the 2 different DP's . or were you not tuned when you had the hks? And is that the reason it "runs better"?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#20 Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

winglesswrx is an unknown
i agree with pb king...
the best place for the hks dp is in the trash..
people can say what will work fine and theres no difference and you can find all the quotes in the world and post them..
but honestly one on this site knows how my car works or the other persons car so no one can say sh**...i know what works good on my car and im sure pb king does to so just stop all the hatin...
#21 Old 05-17-2009, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Winglesswrx is rigth everyones car is going to act driffrent to mods. for my car the hks sucked IMO. I dont have dyno charts to show the diff on them. If I did I would post them up
#22 Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb-king07 View Post
I will still say it's only good for a paper weight....
Well then, by default, I say:
Quote:
read my posts. Except this time, try learning a thing or two about reading comprehension first.
Quote:
when I say it "runs better" it runs better all around spools faster holds boost everything.
(emphasis mine)
So your car now idles smoother? Gears fall into place more easily? See, "everything" is just as vague as "runs so much better."
Quote:
anything else you want??
See, this is why you need to read the rest of my posts. I spell it out right here:
Quote:
did you change anything on your car about the same time as the downpipe (oil, filters, other mods)? Have you ran any logs?
Nagy already said this, but it's worth repeating; did you have your car tuned with the hks downpipe also? Who is your tuner?
#23 Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglesswrx View Post
the best place for the hks dp is in the trash..
No, the best place for false information is in the trash. The best place for hks downpipes is on small turbo'd or EWG'd subarus.
Quote:
you can find all the quotes in the world and post them..
I understand quotes from reputable people isn't exactly "evidence," but it's a heck of a lot better than what you've provided (i.e. nothing).

Ok... first of all, you need to start trying to construct coherent sentences. This isn't school, but dang It took me like 10 mins to translate your jargon. Secondly, this: (reworded to make sense)
Quote:
no one on this site knows how my car or other people's cars work, so no one can say sh**.
is simply not true. I know how your car works, probably better than you do, and there are many people on this site (kjott, nagy, dumdum) that know how your car works better than I do. That's why we have these forums, so we can ask more knowledgeable people questions about our cars. Now, if what you wanted to say was, "no one knows how well my car is running," even that is debatable (your tuner probably knows). The truth of this claim is dependent on our ignorance. If I had basic info about your car; maintenance history, mods, driving habits, etc. I could confidently make some general statements about how well your car is running. All a mildly competent enthusiast would need is an adequate amount of info to know how well your car is running. It is clearly FALSE that any given person possesses exclusive information about the state of his/her own car, and it is also false that he/she is inherently more knowledgeable about the state of this car.

Third, this: (again, reworded to make sense)
Quote:
i know what works well on my car, and I'm sure pb king does too
is clearly contentious. Even if it's true, you only know what works well on your car because of what you've learned from other people. Also, there is clearly a limit to your knowledge... you know what works, better than mechanics? Better than tuners? Better than owners of 500whp subies who've built and tuned their own cars for the past 5 years? Please...
Quote:
stop all the hatin...
All I'm "hatin" here is lies. I have nothing against you guys, just what you're doing. People come to believe false information all the time because of others who feed it to them with confidence and assurance. Sure, you can state your opinion, but don't make it seem like you actually know what you're talking about.
#24 Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
everyones car is going to act driffrent to mods.
Man, you are killing me. This is clearly, CLEARLY false. Throw an 18g, EWG, fuel pump, injectors, and FMIC on a well-running stage 2 wrx, tune it, and TELL me there is a chance it won't make more power. It is true that, in some ways, every car is unique. But to say "everyones car is going to act different to mods" is completely stretching it.
#25 Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

just keep talking....

were not listening....
#26 Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
People wonder why noobies get a bad rep, reading this post should make it clear.
winglesswrx do you have any date to bad up your claims? Have you ran the HKS DP? Is your car even modded?
My car was tuned by one of the best tuner in the country, Phil Grabow, and he had no problem making good power with the HKS DP.
If you need a 500whp car this DP is not for you, if you are running a VF turbo and are looking for 300whp this will work. I am with WReXd on this one.
#27 Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

just because i just register on this site doesnt mean im a noobie to the subie world..
ive been on and kick off plenty forums cuase most people on here just hate...

goodnight...
#28 Old 05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
ive been on and kick off plenty forums cuase most people on here just hate...

goodnight...
wow that is surprising.

Maybe your just overly defensive, nobody's hating on you. You just take what people say the wrong way and continue to argue for the sake of arguing.

the funny thing is that the OP didn't even buy the hks he got an invidia.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#29 Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

dont you just hate it when random people come in and give their 2 cents....
mind your shit son ...

and im sticking to my previous statement that most people hate on these sites..
not really that much help...
#30 Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
just keep talking....

were not listening....
I wouldn't be surprised if you told your 3rd grade teacher the same thing. That would explain why a bunch of your posts, including the second statement of this one, make no sense.
Quote:
dont you just hate it when random people come in and give their 2 cents....
I don't mind when people pitch in. Every cent counts. Fake money is what pisses me off, and that's all you've been dishing out. Do you realize that, by not answering my questions, you've confirmed my suspicion that you have no idea what you're talking about? You wanna pitch in something that's not fake or trash? Reply to my posts.
Quote:
im sticking to my previous statement that most people hate on these sites..
If you went to a church and told everyone that Jesus was a woman, I bet you even a saint would be pissed.
Quote:
not really that much help...
I pointed out that something you said was false. How have you helped?