HKS downpipe problems!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bdaube is an unknown
HKS downpipe problems!!

Hi guys, I need some suggestions here:
I have an 04 wrx wagon with an APS stage one kit (CAI, Intercooler, Unichip, 3" turboback exhaust), I just ordered a new hks up and dp but cane to understand that the dp doesn't fit because its 3.5" and my exhaust system is 3". What should I do? I could get a smaller dp, but wouldn't that perform worse than the 3.5 inch? Or, should I bite the bullet and buy a new exhaust from the dp back? I'm lost here as to the pros and cons. I also am trying not to spend too much money, I'm a New Orleans evacuee staying in Miami, so money is kind of at a premium. Thanks for all your advice guys.
Bdaube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
Sorry for what's happened to your hometown. I hope things work out.

But I guess I don't understand. You said you have a 3" turbo back exhaust, so that includes a dp. I'm not a fan of the HKS dp anyway, but why do you need it, given what you've already got? Maybe you meant you have a catback exhaust? But anyway, you can have a reducer/adaptor fabricated at most any exhaust shop, if you want to keep the HKS. With your current mods, I don't believe you'll notice a difference between a 3" and a 3.5" system.

I'd dump that HKS pipe before I'd buy an exhaust system to mate up with it.

BTW, nice to see another 04 wagon on here.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bdaube is an unknown
Hey,
Yeah, I meant to say catback, my apologies, and thanks for your concern for New Orleans, I think I can speak for anyone who has ever visited we all hope its okay. I think what I'm going to do is go without a dp, or return it and get a different 3" one. I think that seems like the best move. I also love my exhaust system the way it is, APS made a badass stage one kit. Any ideas on what to do next???
post #4 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Id definatley finish the turboback. The downpipe provides a good HP gain. Dont get the HKS though, their dp's suck. Get a 3" bellmouth design.

What kind of Unichip did you get? Is it tuned for having a turboback?
post #5 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bdaube is an unknown
The chip i have is a piggybacking unichip, i guess they flashed it when they put the whole kit on, which included the intake, exhaust, and the unichip, but now with a new up and maybe dp, i guess i'll have to get it reflashed. So yeah i wanna get a good dp, but first i can't wait to get my car back with the up and see how it is.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

I agree with WRXforME. I'd picked out an HKS dp last year and people suggested I choose anything but that one. It's a generic design, but I was told by more than one person there have also been some fitment issues with the product. I didn't buy it, so I don't know how true that is.

I chose the catless Perrin dp but there are a lot of good ones around. If I'd done more research, I might have gone with the divorced wastegate Bosal. But the Perrin is great quality and I'm not certain how much of a difference the longer tube makes on my street car. Pretty nice looking piece though.

One question, as I don't know much about the APS package. Their CAI intake doesn't cause any lean issues on your car? Have you verified that with a tuner?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
I have the HKS d/p and have had no problems with install or anything...I've never heard of them making a 3.5inch....Are you sure..cause mine is a 3inch.

Ramon
post #8 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bdaube is an unknown
Yeah, I just did some research on the system I have, I hadn't checked it out earlier, but I wasn't into modding, I just did it to make it faster without knowing what I was doing, since the factory installed it when I purchased it new. I have a turboback aps 3 inch exhaust system, so I don't need a dp anyway, but I just got the up and the ssq installed and with the intercooler, cai, unichip and exhaust it is friggin movin' You guys gotta do this stuff.
Thanks everyone for your help, i appreciate all your time.
Brian
post #9 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Best of luck to you. And I'd read a few of the threads on CAI's that are on this site. Maybe yours is different or you're tuned for it somehow, but... I'd hate to see a fellow 04 wagon guy in a thread asking if a loud knocking noise is normal or not.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-19-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bdaube is an unknown
Yeah I'm not sure if my CAI is running rich or not, I've had this kit since I bought the car new almost 2.5 years ago, but its been fantastic. I have read some of the links, and I know that with stock ECU it seems to be a problem, I'm not positive, but maybe when the reflashed it with the unichip it helps to alleviate the fact that it makes it run rich, i'm not too sure, I'm going to check it out thought for sure. I love the wagon though, and ## right, ultimate sleeper it is!

Thanks guys, i hope to do some more stuff and I'll let yall know about it as soon as I do. Take care and drive like you stole something!
Brian
post #11 of 15 Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueXtreme is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BlueXtreme
I also have the HKS dp and have had no problems whatsoever, people claim the bellmouth is better and blah blah blah, i want some proof, it's a piece of metal releasing gasses, being forced out. On the other hand i don't have a 3" exhaust I have a 3.5" cat-back. HKS makes a quality product, but a couple negative things and hey they must be crap. My dp went on quite smooth no fitment issues what so ever i know a couple people with the hks dp and 3" exhaust and fitment has never been an issue, now the up-pipe lol that's a different story, its just a pain the rear to get it on.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
^^^^ +1 ..Tell em' how it is!!!!!

Ramon
post #13 of 15 Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdaube
Yeah I'm not sure if my CAI is running rich or not, I've had this kit since I bought the car new almost 2.5 years ago, but its been fantastic. I have read some of the links, and I know that with stock ECU it seems to be a problem, I'm not positive, but maybe when the reflashed it with the unichip it helps to alleviate the fact that it makes it run rich, i'm not too sure, I'm going to check it out thought for sure. I love the wagon though, and ## right, ultimate sleeper it is!

Thanks guys, i hope to do some more stuff and I'll let yall know about it as soon as I do. Take care and drive like you stole something!
Brian
There's a couple of threads on here about CAI's. Cosmo or Hondaeater could tell you more. But the problem seems to be getting consistent readings and issues with the MAF.

Ultimate sleeper is right. Especially at night, you can't tell what they are. There should be a sticker in the rear view mirror that says Objects in Your Mirror Will Disappear Faster Than They Realize. Yeah, I luv this little car!
post #14 of 15 Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXtreme
I also have the HKS dp and have had no problems whatsoever, people claim the bellmouth is better and blah blah blah, i want some proof, it's a piece of metal releasing gasses, being forced out. On the other hand i don't have a 3" exhaust I have a 3.5" cat-back. HKS makes a quality product, but a couple negative things and hey they must be crap. My dp went on quite smooth no fitment issues what so ever i know a couple people with the hks dp and 3" exhaust and fitment has never been an issue, now the up-pipe lol that's a different story, its just a pain the rear to get it on.
Didn't intend to stomp on anyone's toes, dude. Sorry if I offended. If you're happy with the HKS, then
post #15 of 15 Old 11-24-2005, 08:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueXtreme is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BlueXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
Didn't intend to stomp on anyone's toes, dude. Sorry if I offended. If you're happy with the HKS, then

LOL, no offense at all bro, just my measely .02 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement