HI...Im NEW...I have Questions!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TheGimp711 is an unknown
HI...Im NEW...I have Questions!!

I have a 05 WRX that Im looking to do some upgrades too. Im not trying to make it a race car just something fun to drive. It has 50k on it and I just did a tune up and flushed all fluids with synthetic ones.
Current Performance Mods are : Perrin Cat Back
SPT Intake

I love the way the car sounds now but would like to get a downpipe to free up some more power before I get it tuned but I dont want the car to be really loud. I have seen catted downpipes but the cat is tiny and Im sure it would be pretty loud still. Any opinions?

I was also looking into getting it tuned. I have heard a few things abou the The Shop in CT that seems to do a lot of Subaru Performance work. Any feedback on them? Any other simple recommendations to do before I get it tuned?

Thanks,
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i haven't heard of "the shop" but as long as those things that you have heard about that shop are good, go for it. just about any downpipe will give u additional noise. ive heard to stay away from turbo xs. Im not sure whick dps are quite but i do know that invidia is one of the loudest. i think the cobb dp is a great choice, but expensive.

tune after the dp and your at stage 2 which would be what your looking for(not a race car, but something fun to drive). if not satisfied then there are always bigger turbos but that's a different story

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TheGimp711 is an unknown
Well I talked to Jim at "The Shop" and he was very informative and glad to answer any and all questions I had. This is what he recommended:

Downpipe
Up-Pipe
Fuel Pump
MBC
Tune

With these modifications he said I would make around 260WHP. Does this sound right? I was also quoted 400-500 for the tuning. My question is how necessary would the Up-pipe be? I dont have all the money in the world but the exhaust I have already, The fuel pump is $100 and the MBC is like $60.

I did some research and an Up-pipe is around $200 and I heard those make the car pretty loud.

Will it really hurt my tune/power if I just did the TBE, MBC, Fuel Pump, and then got it tuned?

Thanks,
Evan
post #4 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
an up-pipe gives u quicker spool with a tune but not going to make a noticeable difference. you don't really need a mbc. see if you can get a gm boost solenoid and tune with that.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #5 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
i'd get the up pipe since it has a cat in it, go on ebay, u get one for like 20-50 good quality. and u are gonna hav to get it tuned aftr
post #6 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
UP is purely a safety mod...(read) No Gains in performance. Just piece of mind to know a cat won't shoot its way into your turbo. Skip the MBC and either get the tune without it or a 3 port BCS. MBC ='s garbage....IMHO. The rest of the tuner's opinions are correct if you want a decently aggressive tune.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
The Up-pipe is a great mod and should be done. Don't use an MBC. The Up-pipe will as previously stated, allow your turbo to spool much quicker which will fatten up your TQ curve. Fattening up your TQ curve puts more power where you will use it most often in daily driving.. Try to get an Up-Pipe with the same diameter as the stocker, this will keep the air moving at the same velocity which will spin the turbo faster as well. A larger diameter Up-pipe will slow down the air negating the cat removal, not completely but none the less.. If your going to spend the money spend it right..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #8 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
As they said Up pipe is for safety reasons, but also 260whp sounds really really high for a basically stage 2 car.

Dream Evil
post #9 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk02wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blk02wrx
i have a invidia down and uppipe and i love it. i have a sti catback so it's not loud but it sounds nice. i would say even if he tunes for 20psi like the agx race maps then i would look to see maybe 240awhp tops. the uppipe dosn't make a huge dif in noise but it dose make some more.

O2 PEARL BLACK WAGON with some modds
post #10 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah when I had my stage 2 set up and then got the uppipe it didn't go from quiet to balls to the walls loud but it gave it maybe a 10%? increase give or take so it was a pretty solid increase in terms of sound. In any rate though I 260whp is deff alot higher then what would be realistic like blk02wrx said 240whp maaaaybe even that to me is pushing it I guess depending on what kind of dyno you use but I would think 230whp or something along those lines sounds more reasonable.

Dream Evil
post #11 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Here you go, check it out.

eBay Motors: Invidia Up Pipe Subaru WRX STI 02-07 Heat Wrapped (item 160308417254 end time Jan-10-09 15:33:57 PST)

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #12 of 15 Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Darn, that ended. I was going to get it.

I'm a little worried about the $25 uppipes on Ebay. Anyone have experience with these? Most of them look like they have a flex in them. These are prone to rusting out. I just replaced a flex pipe on my wife's Camry. I'm not sure I trust these to fit right, or last. The uppipe gets really hot, so I'm concerned the welds might break.

Anyone used this Bosal Uppipe. Bosal Up Pipe - Exhaust

I kind of like that it looks like a stock piece. It also has heat shields to help guard against under hood temps.

When replacing the uppipe are there heat shields that you can keep on the car, or would you recommend wrapping it.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Darn, that ended. I was going to get it.

I'm a little worried about the $25 uppipes on Ebay. Anyone have experience with these? Most of them look like they have a flex in them. These are prone to rusting out. I just replaced a flex pipe on my wife's Camry. I'm not sure I trust these to fit right, or last. The uppipe gets really hot, so I'm concerned the welds might break.
I picked mine up off ebay. turned out it was a megan racing up-pipe. or somebody went through a lot of trouble to get a box, make a pipe that looks exactly like the one megan makes, and put a megan racing warranty card in the box. installation went incrediably smooth. so far i haven't had a problem
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Just remember, you get what you pay for! Why don't you check NASIOC and find a used uppipe?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
Just remember, you get what you pay for! Why don't you check NASIOC and find a used uppipe?
sometimes you get lucky!