Hey you PROS(cosmo, ibaucla, luda)and everyone else, Get in here! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-05-2005, 04:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

W0R2X is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to W0R2X
Hey you PROS(cosmo, ibaucla, luda)and everyone else, Get in here!

Alright, im sure that everyone has heard this discussion enough, but i would still like to know a few things.
First of all, exhaust. im thinking of getting a cat back system soon, and i dont want to go custom. so as for bolt on. has anyone ever heard of Megan? i heard that they have some pretty decent stuff. I've been looking into getting the A'pexi N1 system since i got the car, but my payments have been slowing me down. this sounds kind of retarted, but does the few millimeters matter when the piping size is 75 mm vs 80mm, or when its a 115mm tip compared to a 120mm tip? I've looked around, and I have found that some sites give your measurements like "Piping size is 65mm,65mm, 80mm and tip size is 120mm." whats with the "65mm,65mm" part? i thought that it would only be 80mm for pipe and 120mm for tip.
I also wanted to know what you guys thought about APS parts. they have some pretty mean stuff it seems but is it a good brand? and if it is does anyone know where to get the APS 3.5 inch catback? i can only find the turbo back, but i cant afford that right now, i want to build mine gradually.
anyway, thanks for your time, input is appreciated! thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
APS is the best stuff you can buy for your car. its up there on top with Perrin and COBB. As for the exhaust, 5mm is no big deal, but the 65mm is small. thats about the size you would run on a 1.6l-2.2l N/A motor. the Turbo XS system uses a much smaller pipe diameter when it reaches the muffler, which allows it to bolt up to the factory system.

as for the tip... at tip is a tip, and it makes no difference. 115mm, 125mm, 19 inches, they are all the same when it comes to making power.

hope that helped!
#3 Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

blackoutX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blackoutX
i say get a dp first n then go for the catback but if catback is what u want get something atleast 3' inches n u'll be fine n happy
#4 Old 09-05-2005, 09:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
APS makes very good products. However, I do not believe they even sell their 3.5'' exhaust in the form of a Catback, I could be wrong, but I'm doubtful you'll find it sold in Catback form. If you're looking for upgrading later, I suggest going with a 3'' Catback, and then adding a downpipe and midpipe down the road. There are companies, like MadDad exhaust which sell the midpipe delete pipes, that'll look semi stock, but allow greater flow. Just do your research and you'll find something good. And for size, again 3'' is a very good size to upgrade to, as it'll provide enough flow for most applications. And tip size is not all that important; pretty much just get something that pleases you.

Blue
#5 Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

W0R2X is an unknown
hey thanks guys
just to let ya know, i dont really want to keep the stock look, thats why i like the look of the A'pexi N1. i hope that the one that im lookin at, located in the catback section for the wrx(obviously) at www.gnvmotorsports.com, is as big as the one as i saw at summit racing, because the one at summit is freakin huge. anyway, thanks for yur inputs guys. it will be a long and slow process, but my goal is to make over 500 hp. but im broke as of right now so it will be a while, plus school is expensive, and my job sucks. thanks again guys.
#6 Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
500 WHP is a VERY high goal lol.
#7 Old 09-06-2005, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

blackoutX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blackoutX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
500 WHP is a VERY high goal lol.
funny thing is , i think thats everyones goal here , i know its mine
not that funny i know
#8 Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you bought the wrong car if that's your goal man. Consider keeping it stock and then selling it to mod something else up to 500whp when you get some bucks. 350whp is enough of a reach for a wrx.
#9 Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
If you want to make 500 whp, or even 500 crank hp, don't bother buying a cat-back. Spend your money on a new block, heads, transmission, fuel system, and engine management. Then, get a big turbo and intercooler. Once you have spent the $10-15k on those parts, dropping $1000 on a turbo-back won't seem like that big of a deal.

Then, go buy another car to drive, as you won't want a 500 whp WRX as your daily driver. You won't enjoy it.

Or, set your goal at 300-350 whp, have a reliable, streetable car that can smoke 99% of the cars you see every day.
#10 Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
If you want to make 500 whp, or even 500 crank hp, don't bother buying a cat-back. Spend your money on a new block, heads, transmission, fuel system, and engine management. Then, get a big turbo and intercooler. Once you have spent the $10-15k on those parts, dropping $1000 on a turbo-back won't seem like that big of a deal.

Then, go buy another car to drive, as you won't want a 500 whp WRX as your daily driver. You won't enjoy it.

Or, set your goal at 300-350 whp, have a reliable, streetable car that can smoke 99% of the cars you see every day.
What he said!

Blue
#11 Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon
What he said!

Blue
+2

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#12 Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I agree with Cosmo, BlueDemon, and Ian.. I have big goals and went bit time with my Rex and it hurts.. If you don't do it all at once you end up breaking everything.. I only did the big turbo and fuel and crahsed my trany and now my block.. So now I have no chiose but to get a new block.. I suggest putting that money into an STI short block and working your way from there.. You will get more TQ and HP now plus more every time you add something new.. Ohh, but you will have to get a new management system to set the variables right.. That is if you want 500+HP.. Which I still do.. lol. But I will also say this. I am working two jobs that total 60+ hours a week just to pay for my toys.. I don't get any time to wrench on them or enjoy them.. So it's all a trade off.. Check out my profile for pictures of the Trany and Piston... !Cry!

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#13 Old 09-07-2005, 02:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

W0R2X is an unknown
hey guys, thanks for the input, i really appreciate it. i understand that 500 is a really high goal, and with my luck, it probably wont happen, but i would like to reach it someday. im only 19 so i got some time. i dont have very much experience when it comes to "the boxer," but ill learn.
so you guys recommend that i try around 300-350hp? that sounds good to me. have any of you guys reached that yet? im assuming that you cant reach that easily, and i suppose that it will take a lot of money, but i will still try. what exactly would i have to do to reach that? new turbo, fuel system, computer, the works? what about transmission work? i dont know much about it, but i just started my manual transmissions class, so i will be learning about it shortly. well, im looking forward to all of your responses. thanks again guys.
#14 Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
300 whp is attainable for around $6000-7000 if you are careful with your money.

You need:

Engine management - There is quite a bit of debate as to which is best, so decide for yourself, but you need it in one form or another. Once you get everything installed, pay the bucks and get it professionally tuned.

Uppipe and turbo back - Getting rid of the cats and freeing up the exhaust is a key ingredient

Upgraded fuel system - Larger fuel pump and injectors are needed for more than stock hp. The size of injectors depends on a number of factors, and could take up an entire thread by itself. At least you will need some STi 565cc injectors.

Larger turbo - More boost = more power, and a larger turbo flows more air at the same pressure than a small turbo. An IHI VF30/34 is probably the smallest you want to consider for 300 whp. A VF22 is a little larger, but more laggy, so if you want something IHI I recommend the VF34. If you want to go bigger, there are many choices - 18g, 20g, PE1818, PE1820, FP Green, etc. Do a little research and see what fits your goal (and budget).

Larger intercooler - More boost = more heat, and more heat = bad. So, you need a way to cool that air before it gets into your engine. You can go with a bigger TMIC, or a FMIC. Again, the one you use depends on many factors.

You may also need other items like a new intake, new BOV, and you are getting to the point where you need to worry about the life of your clutch/transmission if you drive it hard a lot.

But, those parts, a good tune, and a tank full of high-grade unleaded will get you in the 300 whp range.
#15 Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

knot04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to knot04
cosmo - do you feel that anything in the 300-350AWHP range requires new rods, and maybe even a new block?