Subaru WRX Forum banner

hesitation at 4-5k rpm

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  blk02wrx 
#1 ·
i was driving the 02 wagon today and when i hit 4-5k at about 3/4 throttle there was a hesitation. what could it be?

#3 ·
Could be alot of things but you gave like zippy details.Could also be completely normal.
*List your mods
*Has it happened before and has it happened since?
*Is it a problem you can duplicate?
*Do you properly service the vehicle according to the manufacturers scheduled maintenance?

#4 ·
sorry for the lack of info. my modds are cob short ram intake and invidia dp. everything is up to date to subaru spec. it dosn't happen every time and has happened before but the last 3 times i have tryed to gt it to do it it didn't happen. the only thing i have changed sene i happened was the spark plugs. and no there wasn't any abnormal noise.

#6 ·
Dang, sounds like my guess was going to be way off. I was going to guess improperly gaped spark plugs.... Probably not it though, wahtever. Good Luck, you'll get it sorted out soon. !Thumbs Up

ediit- I guess my guess was totally off anyway, you changed the spark plugs AFTER it started happening?

#10 ·
n check engine light and no codes. i tryd it tonight and it did it from 3500 rpm all the way through. it would hesitate and then go and hesitate and go over and over all the way to 6500rpm. and it will do it to some degree in every gear but 5th seems to be the worst. it couldn't be th clutch sliping could it? or some other tranny problum?

#11 ·
If the clutch was slipping your RPMs would be going up and your speed would be staying the same. Thats the basic clutch test....put the car in top gear at like 35-40 mph and if the rpms shoot up and your still putt putting around. The clutch is slipping. But, since you said that the rpms are staying the same. Its probably something more along the lines of what mosc said. Some sort of injector problem or the engine management of the injectors at least.

#16 ·
Hmmmm That Would Make Sense. I Have Had Mis Fires In A Couple Diferent Cylinders. I Cleared The Codes And It Happened Again And I Changed The Plugs And It Happened Once Sense But I Have About 2-3k Miles On The Plugs Now And I Haven't Had A Misfire But The Bogging Still Happens But Only At Like 1/2-3/4 Throttle. When I'm At Full Throttle It Dosn't Happen.

#19 ·
sorry mosc!

the fuel filter was replaced about 8 thousand miles ago so i think that should be ok but i think i'll check it and make sure as we have found alot of crap in fuel filters in the last year when they weren't that old.

#20 ·
I had something similar happen. At exactly 4k the car would lose serious power and then at 5k it would surge forward. It was really annoying and I thought something was wrong. The next tank of gas I went to a different station and the problem went away.

Maybe try a different gas station if you're always filling up at the same place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.