help with modding for torque - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattxander12 is an unknown
help with modding for torque

My current knowledge is that HP numbers are what the common joe knows and measures a car's worth with and torque numbers are what really matter overall. ( correct me if i'm wrong... which i don't think i am ) ....... so it'd be safe to say that if you want a "real" performing cars that can handle real track type driving with fast stopping , quick acceleration , twisty turns, etc ...... that torque is what you need for that quick get up and go that gives you the advantage, correct ? suspension setups , tires and all that set aside.... how do you mod your wrx to maximize torque ? Most products out there only advertise the HP or the AWHP .... but if really those numbers don't matter per se , then how do you go about getting the most torque possible out of the 2.0l wrx ? any info would be great.... trying to get that concept question down....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2006, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Most of your torque gains are going to be utilized by proper tuning on a dyno. Mod your car for power and then when you go to tune it, tell the tuner what you want from the car and they can give you some insight as well.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
this is a real good question. i used to dream about that but never figured out how. a wrc car has only 300 hp yet coughs up nearly 500 ft-lbs
post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Yeah you can usually tell them when they dyno tune it what you're looking for. There is at least one member I know of on here that has quite a bit more torque than horsepower.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2006, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1313 is an unknown
I pretty sure your talking about ManicsWrX....HE'S the one with the gas guzzler..
Sorry Chris.. stole your stats..
Turbo Back Invidia Exhaust W/O cats Perinn Intake Cobb A/P Stage 2 Pro tuned and dynoed 232AWHP and 308TQ

Mmmmm Rice & V8. part of a healthy WRX diet..lol
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
I think Honda has the answer to your question. They know how to make some crazy torque.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
HP is torque. Its just rpm times torque. You are not looking necessarily for more torque you are looking to make it at lower rpm. You can make more hp and actually lose torque or vis versa. Tell the tuner that you want you torque to get up high at lower RPMs. This will sacrifice your pontential for higher HP but its what you are looking for right?
In a perfect world with perfect gear ratios the car with more hp always wins reguardless of how much torque it has.

Jacob
Almost clean wrx...
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
getting torque is the easy part, getting lots of it low enough to really utilise its potential is the hard part, the easy way is to get as much as you can then get the gearing of your diffs best to suit your powerband. ie if your peak torque is at 5500-6000 go for the lowest final drive you can get hold of, 4.44 is the best final drive for a big horsepower 2 liter motor which revs to 8000rpm and beyond.

Nothing makes Torque like 1.7Bar of Boost
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mattxander12 is an unknown
those of you who have tuned for torque specifically... what is the most noticable change for having high torque numbers ?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
I went from 165 to 235 ft-lbs. The biggest difference was alot of pull on the low end. Quiker acceleration and as my gf found out if you pop the clutch with no throttle it will still pull itself into motion only on idle... (dont ask how we learned that one... sigh)
I did nopt get any gains really on my top end though, and i kinda want more top end power but to do that i have to shift my torque curve to higher rpms.

Jacob
Almost clean wrx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement