Help me out here - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AspenWRX is an unknown
Help me out here

Ok so i just bought an Aspen White WRX and i got a UTEC, upipe, turbo back, bov.

Now i want to get a FMIC but from what i see, a FMIC and the stock turbo will create a lot of lag. So im thinking of upgrading my turbo as well, however i dont have the money to do internal engine work as well. What kind of turbo upgrades can I do that will keep my stock engine from blowing up? Also what kind of boost should i be running with the turbo you suggest and what kind of fuel?

Another thing i was thinking of is keeping the stock turbo. Are there any FMIC that will not create a lot of turbo lag? Also what about a TMIC? Everyone says heat soak sucks, i personally dont fully understand what heat soak is.

I am kind of leaning towards keeping the stock turbo, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by AspenWRX; 03-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Any of the smaller FMIC's will be fine with the stock turbo. In fact, something like the Hyperflow would be fine. I had a stock turbo for a little while with my FMIC, and while there was some lag, it wasn't bad. Just slightly more than when I had a bigger TMIC.

If you want a bigger turbo, be sure to upgrade your fuel pump and injectors as well.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Heat soak is when the intercooler gets really hot and can't cool the air going into the engine fast enough, it will make your car run funny for a short time until you start going again. This pretty much only happens in the summer.

If you go to Gruppe-s.com you will see that they have turbo up-grade packages that will work for you and you wont have to do internals (VF34 OR VF22 turbo up-grade) then you can do a good top or front mount.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AspenWRX is an unknown
if i go with the VF34 upgrade, what kind of boost should i be running on it, also what would that do to me HP wise? Also would i have to upgrade the clutch/flywheel as well?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
You could probably run 18-19 psi on that turbo w/ a decent tune and be right around 300 whp. No clutch/flywheel is needed.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

AspenWRX is an unknown
ive heard rumors of the stock WRX motor and tranny only be able to hold like 280 whp, this true?

Also, what is a good intercooler to get for something like this other then the APS one, too expensive for me. I was thinking maybe the Blitz kit?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Antyoo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenWRX
Ok so i just bought an Aspen White WRX and i got a UTEC, upipe, turbo back, bov.

Now i want to get a FMIC but from what i see, a FMIC and the stock turbo will create a lot of lag. So im thinking of upgrading my turbo as well, however i dont have the money to do internal engine work as well. What kind of turbo upgrades can I do that will keep my stock engine from blowing up? Also what kind of boost should i be running with the turbo you suggest and what kind of fuel?

Another thing i was thinking of is keeping the stock turbo. Are there any FMIC that will not create a lot of turbo lag? Also what about a TMIC? Everyone says heat soak sucks, i personally dont fully understand what heat soak is.

I am kind of leaning towards keeping the stock turbo, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
i have the TXS FMIC v2 and a stock turbo.

full boost at 3214 rpm
post #8 of 8 Old 03-02-2005, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenWRX
ive heard rumors of the stock WRX motor and tranny only be able to hold like 280 whp, this true?

Also, what is a good intercooler to get for something like this other then the APS one, too expensive for me. I was thinking maybe the Blitz kit?
No. I know of several WRX's holding 350-375 whp on stock internals.

Get either the Perrin, Hyperflow, APS, or MRT intercooler. Most of the others (Blitz, Greddy, Injen) are poorly designed. The Blitz and Greddy don't include bumper beams, so you'll have to hack your stock one.