Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help me decide...TMIC or PnP manifolds

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on some parts, but I can't make up my mind. I can't decide between grimmspeed PnP manifolds and cross pipe or a bigger tmic. I guess my question is does anyone have any input as to which would give me the most gains. I'm also purchasing a grimmspeed BCS, aem ugeo, and a phatbotti custom tune at the same time. My car is an 03 wrx wagon with a 4eat. I'm already stage 2 with an xpt tune. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
Yeah, I'd say if you're going to upgrade the turbo or not. The TMIC is probably more benefit for your buck. Now, if you get the PnP manifolds it won't hurt but its more beneficial if you're actually thinking of upgrading the turbo. Because you will be looking to squeeze out a little more power with the manifolds. Mean while...the larger TMIC if its quality part will cool the charged air better, have minimal pressure drop, and a larger area to cool more air over the smaller IC. All good things with a tune because it will allow you to turn up the boost/timing more because the cooler air lowers the possibility of knock.

#10 · (Edited)
I just found a used sti tmic for $300. Is that a good deal or should I hold out for something better. I also found a hyperflow for 400, but it's been drilled and tapped for a meth kit and iat sensor. I'm not sure how I feel about buying one that has been modified like that especially since I don't plan on ever needing meth.

#12 ·
The STi TMIC is not that big. It's much better quality than the WRX one and flows better. It's an ideal upgrade for the WRX keeping the stock turbo but if you want a bigger than TD04 turbo, you should really get something bigger than the STi TMIC. The Stock STi VF39/43/etc is already too much for the stock STi TMIC.

If you get the high flow crosspipe option with a stock turbo, it will actually slow down your car with lag for no gain. Just FYI, you're shopping for parts that are all designed for bigger-than-stock turbos.

#14 ·
I like the txs unit. I think I might just go ahead and order a new one. I just don't like the blue hose. I have a red mishimoto hose kit, but I bet I cant use it with the larger txs intercooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.