Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help with boost? TXS Stage 4

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the deal, im totally stumped...

Just finished TXS Stage 4 install today... included VF30, STi injectors, Walbro Fuel pump...

Prior to this day i've been running stage 3 including Hyperflow top mount plus GT Spec headers...

On stage 3, my AutoGauge boost gauge would show 18 psi at 4000 rpm WOT in third gear, obviously even more in 4th or 5th...

So today the stage 4 is done and the VF30 is in, i did not touch the ABC setting. all i did was upgrade to stage 4 TMI preprogrammed map from the stage 3 preprogrammed map. When i drove it i cannot get over 10 psi in any gear... Also worth noting, the VF30 sounded much quieter than the stock turbo... So then i pegged the ABC way up (in gradual increments of course)... by the time i was done, 6 full turns to the ABC and the turbo is now much more audible, clearly trying and apparetly making more boost... Still showing barely even 14 psi on the exact gauge that was easily making 18psi yesterday??? Why?

I can understand an inaccurate boost gauge and all, but how could the stock turbo more easily show way more boost on the exact same gauge... exact same ABC setting, and a stage 3 map that programs a lesser boost curve than the stage 4 map.

Anyone runing stage 4 care to please weigh in on this one???

I'm gonna send an email to Phil at TXS also...

I'm almost certain not boost leaks in the system, the install went smoothly and the car does have noticeably more power in the middle, but not so noticeable as i expected on the top end...

Its blowing off louder than it used too, which should indicate more boost being generated, but my reading is much lower...

Just can't figure it out... Guess i need to data log a run with the laptop and see what the MAP has to say about boost level...

Worth noting,, the EGTs haven't changed much despite my pegging the ABC 6 complete turns and the little screw is now all but sticking out of the ABC housing... (at the very top of the hole)

See less See more
#2 ·
did you change over to closed loop boost control? and change your settings like it says? what is your wastegate duty cycle? log #3..that will tell you that.

i had the same issue with mine....it was that i was trying to bleed off more pressure then the factory boost solenoid can do. the factory setup cannot bleed a large amount of pressure off....thats why your ABC is maxed out trying to compensate. your boost map...what are your #'s? send me a log...and i will try to help. wickedautoworks@swva.net

lemme know..AIM me if ya can. ill try to help

Joey

#3 ·
Ok, will change it..

I did not change over to closed loop... So if its not there already, that could be it... Double checked the whole system, no leaks apparent, all hoses good, all connections appear correct...

So joey, i can change over to closed loop, but what other "settings" are you referencing in your comment? I noticed that the stage 4 install directions suggest that it may take 4-6 turns on the ABC to achieve high boost in stage 4, but i made 6 turns and can barely get to 14 psi, so i certainly don't have something setup right... I did not see any other stage 4 specific to UTEC instructions other than "how to install" and of course the software download for stage 4. Is there more info on stage 4 posted somewhere that i am missing...???

thanks again,
Ron

(if there's more boost and power to be had, all i can say is WOW... because its already much faster and more powerful just maxxing out at 10-12 psi)

#5 ·
Yup, there was a ton more power to be had!

Its fixed now...

Stage 4 TXS map was fine. The issue was this..

IHI VF comes with hoses for connection to the compressor outlet ad the wastegate... Inside the compressor outlet hose is a tiny little brass restrictor... The one that comes o the IHI turbo is about 1 mm smaller than the one on the stock REX turbo... Well, that needs to be switched out and use the stock REX turbo restrictor hose... And holySH#$ BALLS what a difference 1 mm ca make... !!!

THe car is nothing short of a monster! Huge pull through the entire RPM range 3500 and up... I mena HUGE!

I love it :D

Car is awesome, Time for brake upgrade! I'm gonna need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.