Help???? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Druche is an unknown
Question Help????

Hello all. I have a 04 WRX wagon with a TXS stage 3 kit. My question is this...I have that big Hyperflow intercooler and I did put an STI scoop on the car,what splitter,if any can I use that won't rub on the intercooler? Thanks in advance, Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
You need to take it off. There is barely any clearance in there with the splitter off let alone with it on.

Che
#3 Old 06-17-2004, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mdchevyguy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Mdchevyguy
Take the Hyperflow one off, and instead go get an STi intercooler and put it on, the WRX already has the bracket to fit the STi on w/o a problem.
#4 Old 06-18-2004, 01:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mdchevyguy
Take the Hyperflow one off, and instead go get an STi intercooler and put it on, the WRX already has the bracket to fit the STi on w/o a problem.
I know that the only STi i/c that will fit the 02/03 wrx is the JDM V7, the USDM STi does not bolt onto the other bracket that you see. I'm not certain about the 04s though...
#5 Old 06-18-2004, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
He isn't asking about the intercooler, he's asking about the splitter. And why would you ever want to go back to a smaller i/c? lol.
Also apparently the GT Spec Splitter will go on there.

Che
#6 Old 06-18-2004, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garcia is an unknown
Quote:
Why would you ever do that? Druche, don't do this. Thats just stupid. I used a small piece of foam stripping and put it at the bottom of the scoop under the hood.

[img]http://www.mustangmods.com/data/4411/aaa.jpg[/img]
#7 Old 06-19-2004, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Custom make one, or leave it off. I've heard of the GT working but can't say first hand,

-kobi
#8 Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mdchevyguy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Mdchevyguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Garcia

Why would you ever do that? Druche, don't do this. Thats just stupid. I used a small piece of foam stripping and put it at the bottom of the scoop under the hood.
The STi intercooler is the same length and width as the Hyperflow one, its just not as fat as the Hyperflow one is. If everybody is talking from a financial standpoint, then yea go custom make one that will work.
#9 Old 06-21-2004, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:

The STi intercooler is the same length and width as the Hyperflow one, its just not as fat as the Hyperflow one is. If everybody is talking from a financial standpoint, then yea go custom make one that will work.
WHAT?

Sorry bro........ you don't just "Custom" make an intercooler. These companies do alot of research on their products and they have discovered a thing called "pressure drop" and "heat soak". Knowing those two things exist, they have designed intercoolers which have the least amount of pressure drop and resist heat soak the greatest. A regular "Joe Schmoe" will never be able to "Custom" make one that's better.

Not to mention, the fact that the hyperflow is "Fatter" than the STi's intercooler makes a BIG difference. So big infact, that the hyperflow is one of the biggest Top Mounts available with the least amount of pressure drop.... which makes it a VERY good buy. (At least, when the cores were good).

Blue
#10 Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDemon
WHAT?
Blue
They're talking about the seal between the hood and the ic, just fyi Blue.
#11 Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
The STi I/C allows for more clearance than the Hyperflow one seeing how it is a lot smaller.

Che
#12 Old 06-22-2004, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally posted by T WREX

They're talking about the seal between the hood and the ic, just fyi Blue.
Well..... don't I feel like a giant horses @$$.

Blue
#13 Old 06-22-2004, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks: Hey buddy, why the long face?

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#14 Old 06-23-2004, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
T WREX

was that supposed to be funny?

### i think i'll tell my wife that one and she'll love it and tell it all the time... and she's the king of dumb jokes that are so dumb they're funny. i'll let ya know how it goes....

just called her.... took her a minute... then she laughed quite a bit...
yep, this officially passes a dumb joke in my book. I'm sure my wife will be telling it around for weeks now... (she's not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but hey, blonde's do have more fun, right?)

so anyways... back to the topic at hand... i read that APS makes a splitter to work with their top mount intercooler (which is big like the TXS) and is made to fit up with an STi scoop.... it aint cheap, but that's the one i'd go with if i still had my TXS top mount and was going to buy a splitter... When i had the top mount, i did a lot of brainstorming as to what i could do to create something like the stock 'shroud' that made sure that no air got past the stock intercooler....

i never did come up with anything any better than a little foam weatherstripping to stop it from passing over the back of the i/c.... But still a lot of air escaped past the i/c down the sides... i hated that!

So i got a front mount. problem solved. and a whole new host of problems now... like uh... better never rear-end someone... or my front end will be squashed like a bug. (no more solid bumper beam to protect)... and of course a $1500 piece of equipment right up front too....