Helix Upipe install notes and.. a question? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Helix Upipe install notes and.. a question?

Did this last night in ~4hrs.

-EGT probe was touching metal sleeve of some line so I had to bend it out of the way 1/4 inch

-Tab of exhaust manifold was interfering with another metal tab ~ 1/4" so I had to touch the corner with a file for reinstall

-SO many gaskets! I have no problems reusing, but it helps you sleep better when you don't. The BOV,2 Under IC pipes, Turbo to DP, Upipe, O2 and manifold gasket could all use replacing. I replaced 2/8 with the gaskets in the Helix kit.

-The bolts were very compliant on my car with 20k miles (socal car)

-My heatshield bolted back into place, minus 2 uppipe bolts.. why do people delete the shield(s)?

- I slightly frayed on of the grounds on the O2 sensor.. be extremely careful removing and do it slowly. I covered it with elec tape seems to be ok(?)

- There is absolutely no way of putting the IC back with the Y pipe attached

..and the question. I'm now throwing a CEL. I think it could be either the EGT or the O2, leaning towards the O2. It threw a light when we first started, but thought it was from the WD40 we sprayed to try to get the Intercooler back on. Then we found a loose hose clamp. I drove home (~20 miles) with no CEL. Started this morning and there it is. Disconnected the batt 1min, drove various conditions and couldn't get it to come back up.

Is there anyway to check error codes without going to the dealer? On my last car it was a paperclip and you read the pulses on the dash. Or does anyone have any other way to diag?

Thanks,

-Dmitri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
You bent the probe itself? Or the wire it is connected to?

You don't need to replace any of the gaskets except the manifold to uppipe and uppipe to turbo gasket. The rest should be fine.

The heatshield won't fit well with most aftermarket downpipes. Plus, they don't do anything anyways.

The intercooler absolutely can be re-installed with the piping on it. That's the only way I ever do it. Just takes some patience and a flat head screwdriver...

Go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. They will pull the code for free. It shouldn't be the O2 sensor, since nothing before it changed. If it was the EGT sensor, that usually puts the car into limp mode and it will just barely run.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
I bent the metal leading to the probe that sits outside of the uppipe. It was touching the heat shielding on a hose. I figured (even with sheilding) you wouldn't want something that gets as hot as the exhaust making direct contact with a hose.

Heatshield should keep engine bay temps down..? Mine fit perfectly even with the Helix.. I was just wondering if I did something wrong.

We were trying a flathead for awhile on the Y-pipe, but just couldn't get any leverage to push it on. Even with the IC removed from the Y-pipe it took a ton of muscle to get the (plastic ) end back on the turbo. Maybe it gets easier after a couple installs?

Thanks for the advice! I'll head to Autozone at lunch.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Almost forgot.. After the uppipe install I can hear the turbo spool a lot better. But compared to my MR2T the sound of air being sucked in isn't as smooth.. It's almost like a tiny bit of flutter.

I checked all of the intake hoses and they're as tight as they should be.. Is this just a characteristic of the WRX?

Thanks,

-dp
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
That sound is a characteristic of the boxer engine.

And, the heat shield doesn't do anything that I have seen. It's not big enough to keep temps down at idle, and when running, the air from the scoop actually hits the turbo without the shield on.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
I'm sure the code that you're getting is the P0136, it's a o2 sensor code. I got the cel fix from ExtremePSI when I ordered it and somehow I wired it incorrectly (I thought I was paying attention ), hence the code. I rewired it and no code since.

Nice job doing it in 4 hrs. It took me quite a few hours longer.

As for bending the EGT wire, I had to do that too.

How do you like it so far? I love mine.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
You have a CEL fix for your O2 sensor? Isn't that in the manifold?

If I did damage the EGT I'd do the resistor fix, but it sounds ok from what Cosmo said.

4hrs was with 2 people that have about 30 busted knuckles combined

Thanks both of you, this place rocks.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
You have a CEL fix for your O2 sensor? Isn't that in the manifold?
Yes, it's the one for your rear o2 sensor. It's in the dp though, not the manifold. I never did anything with the front o2 sensor. You just splice it into your rear o2 harness (plug side, not the car side) and reinstall it. I got mine from www.extremepsi.com it's in the exhaust section.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
before you do anything i would try resetting the ecu, because when i had that same problem all i did was reset the ecu and i haven't had a CEL since

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
I reset the ECU about 4 times now..

P0037 H0S2 BANK1 SEN2 Heater Circuit Low

Google: Rear oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction

? Ooh, that bites.. I loosened the slack in it when I dropped the dp, then ziptied it back. Blah.

-dp
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

wi_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wi_wrx
As for getting the ic back on the way i did it was to heat it up with a heat gun to make it more malleable (i figured it probably gets pretty hot from the turbo anyways) then it slid right on...

I have that same problem with the O2 sensor i ordered the fix on monday i hope to get it soon...(and i hope it works)

Last edited by wi_wrx; 04-28-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement