Header for a 2.0 stock turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
Header for a 2.0 stock turbo

i know it creates alittle more lagtime. but the way i see it, we have lag to begin with, and i dont need to be in boost unless im trying to go fast, my car is loud already so i try to drive slow to keep it down, BUT i have seen STI's with a header, and full tbe and they sound great and seem to pull alittle harder from what i have been told. i was just curious if any 2.0 owners here are running a stock turbo with a Header back setup and/or running stage 2 cobb ap.

i know the downfalls as far as it creating more lag so if your going to tell me about it i already know, but thank you. i would just like to find out anyone who has them and the benifits. now if you have a header and you want to tell me somthin bad about it please do, im just curious, i dont plan on doing it right away, but like i said, i was just wondering. i havnt heard anything really good about them on a 2.0, so that might just be enough right there to keep me away from them. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bades is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Bades
hey chris... Ill tell ya the header doesnt make that much more lag.... I had one when i was still runnin my stock turbo, and i never had any issues.. just a lil bit of lag... and it was alot louder.... but if/when u upgrade the turbo it is really worth it.... I have the DC Sports Header.... I luv it and if u wanna do a header go for it...
#3 Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
thats what i wanted to hear!!! lol thanks man. any more top end? i hear you pick up more mid to top end
#4 Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zeke13 is an unknown
I've got a GT Spec Gen II header & up-pipe and it sounds great, pulls harder in the mid to upper range and I've noticed no lag. I've seen this come up several times and I've always wondered about the lag issue since my experience has been the opposite.

Running stock turbo, TurboXS dp/mid and an STi muffler, along with the big TMIC off eBay (again, no issues with that either), several Perrin hoses and an STi scoop.

I need to put some funds aside for a CobbAP stage 2 protuned. I bet I'd feel a difference with that upgrade. Then it's on to a turbo and fuel system upgrade and another tune

Again, I've been very happy with it. I also picked it up for a good price.
#5 Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bades is an unknown
yea man the mid and upper range are increased noticabley... but may i suggest gettin unequal length headers.. just to keep that beautiful bower roar.....
#6 Old 09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
awesome, i just spoke with jscspeed.com about that header. he said the engine has to be lifted to be installed? is that what you had to do Zeke 13? how much was install, estimated price.
#7 Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zeke13 is an unknown
I had a buddy who builds some serious Mustangs install it. He needed to disconnect the passenger side mount and jack the engine up an inch or two with a Craftsmen jack. Took some time, but wasn't too terrible. I assisted where I could.

It's funny, he's lived in the big V8 world his entire life and he's been VERY impressed with the Rex. He enjoys telling his Stang buddies about the "fairly built" Rex he's been working on. Most of them comment on how those little "bleeps" are so damn fast and agile. They seem to have a respect/hate thing going on with the Rex.

The Mustang he's building now is sick. The numbers he is targeting with the massive supercharger he's installing is beyond sick.
#8 Old 09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zeke13 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bades
yea man the mid and upper range are increased noticabley... but may i suggest gettin unequal length headers.. just to keep that beautiful bower roar.....
I believe the GT Spec Gen II header & up-pipe I purchased is an unequal length. All I know is the car went from sounded good to nice and aggressive after this mod.

I think jscspeed sells the GT Spec. It was a really well built piece. Again, my buddy who was a welder and builds the Mustangs was very impressed with the workmanship. As he put it, it was one of the nicest pieces he's worked with and that says alot. Especially at $500 or so for everything (up-pipe, gaskets, etc.).
#9 Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
awesome. thanks for the info, helps out alot.
#10 Old 09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bades is an unknown
hey chris its not that hard to install.....its basicly a lift the front end up wit jackstands.... and unbolt them from the block..... no mounts have to be undone.... thats for the Up pipe... ne questions.. just ask me.... I ve pulled mine like 3 times now.... to double gasket them.....
#11 Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Before you start throwing money on a part you're unsure if, read Cosmo's post. In most cases, the losses from installing headers outweigh the gains.

Headers, Good/Bad

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#12 Old 09-15-2006, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
thanks vew
#13 Old 09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
You might want to look into getting your stock exhaust manifold ported and coated to retail heat. I've heard of a lot of people doing it with positive results. I have an extra set of manifolds sitting next to me and I plan on sending them out in the near future.
#14 Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
HEY, i didnt want to start a new post. if i were to get a header i was going to get the GT spec header from JSCspeed.com . but i heard alot about meganracing, and its usually bad things. they have an unequal length header, check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...30099489QQrdZ1

what do you guys think? it looks like junk, i only say that cus i normally say you get what you pay for and that is damn cheap. anyone tried it? anyone know there quality? any header i go with i plan on wrapping it with thermal tec copper exhaust wrap just like i did to the downpipe. please just give info on what you think about this header rather then tell me the downfalls of headers, i know already. thanks guys
#15 Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
I would get a maddad header if I was getting one.