Hardest Question Ever - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Hardest Question Ever

So back in September i posted a question about this sound my turbo was making after i installed my UP and DP. Many people on nasioc and this forum have had similar problems. It is a flutter like wastegate flutter, but no amount of tightening of the actuator arm could get rid of it. I then guessed it was an exhaust leak so i installed copper gaskets and used coper sealant. Still the sound persisted at .6 bars of boost as always. So i had it dyno tuned and the max boost was raised to like 1.25 bars and now the sound doest start until .9 bars of boost. So now i am thinking maybe the BOV, because the sound is related to the maximum boost allowed. The only other thing i am thinking is still wastegate flutter but i don't know how it could be fixed. I need any ideas before i invest in a new BOV.
Thanks,
Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2006, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
is there anyway to get a sound file or video with the noise present?

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#3 Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
No sorry i tried to record it but my recording device picks up my exhaust much louder than the turbo sound. It is part the normal swoosh you hear with the turbo making boost but it only happens at high boost.
Thanks please keep giving me ideas.
- Jacob
#4 Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

GASCOOBYCREW is an unknown
What kind of BOV?
#5 Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Its a stock BOV right now. I am thinking of going to greddy recirculating BOV or a turboxs recirculating BOV.
#6 Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Sounds like compressor surge.

Does it do it when you are accelerating or when you let off the gas?
#7 Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
No its at full boost. Just like wastegate flutter. My max boost changed from 1bar to 1.2 bar and the sound mooved to higher bars also. Could it be wastegate flutter that cant be fixed with tightening the arm?
Thanks for thinking about this one guys. Please keep helping.
#8 Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Don't all answer at once now...
#9 Old 03-03-2006, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
well i think i am getting it too. does it sound like a heat sheild rattle when your boosting. I get it in 2nd and 3rd when i begin to boost. And when the engine is completely warm i don't get it at all. If i stop and turn the car off for five minutes and then drive it again i will get it again. guess when the pipes cool down it comes back. wtf. can't figure it out. gonna try to figure it out today.
#10 Old 03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

03'WRXDriva is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to 03'WRXDriva Send a message via Yahoo to 03'WRXDriva
mine does it at low boost almost right off idle in the first few gears and while low rpm cruising in 3rd oe 4th and gettin on it . it goes away after abour 2400 rpm. sounds to me like wastegate flutter. somebody said u have to get your turbo ported i guess. im thinkin on the 599 dollar 16g on ebay. u think i can run that on stock fuel system?
#11 Old 03-06-2006, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
Mine makes a fluttering noise when im sitting at a traffic light and i rev the engine. At first I thoguht it was a turbo leak or something but Im still getting it looked at.
#12 Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
gingertooth, 03'WRXDriva, rgprestige15 - We all have different sounds and i think different causes. I have been trying to diagnose mine for a long time, but maybe some of my experience can help ya'll.
For gingertooth, I think you should take off your heat shield for a while. Also check for clearance between your down pipe and the fire wall. Also look underneath the car for clearance issues with the cat back. A change up front can shift your cat back also.
For 03'WRXDriva, Yours sounds like waste gate flutter. Try to tighten the arm. Although i bet you already tried that. If you have the sound at full throttle too it might be my problem. I can hear a sound at low boost too. At similar times you hear yours. I think this sound is just do to my up pipe change. No Cat and the flex pipe i have could crate turbulent flow in the pipe i think.
For rgprestige15, If its only when you are idling i don't know. If it changes at higher rpm to a solid scream or whine it could be an up pipe leak. If this is the case get copper sealant and redo your Up pipe. If its a leak though it should get louder at higher boost.
I hope this helps. Sounds in this area are hard to diagnose.
- jacob
#13 Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
I dont think mine is a leak. It does it when iam not boosting at all. If i pop it in neutral and rev, as the rmp drop its audible. OR if iam in gear and coasting without any throttle it does it. The sound reminds me of the sound a piece of paper makes when flapping in the wind really really fast. Keep in mind its only audible if you listen for it though.