Gutted - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
Gutted

Whats the deal on gutted uppipes? Are they good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
It'll work, but installation and gutting process will be a pain. You have to jack up one side of the engine to get the OEM UP out. With an aftermarket one you wouldn't need to so when you reinstall a gutted stock UP, you'll have to jack it up again. Not to mention the diameter is a bit smaller, but that doesn't have much of an effect unless your pushing a lot more air. My vote is aftermarket UP.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#3 Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i had a gutted stock uppipe with my stock turbo and it work fine. when i put a vf-39 on my car it seemed to cause alot of turbulance. so i switched it out to a larger diameter pipe.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#4 Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
i'm still on the stock turbo and would recommend gutting the UP. it's cheap (free). After reading nagys post i'm wondering what i should do when i get my bigger turbo, but for now it works great.

I for one love working on my car, even if there's no good reason to do so. the whole removal, gutting, install process probably took 5 hours. removal and installation was a pain, but the gutting probably took the longest. I had to drill holes in the cat, punch it out with a screwdriver, then use wire wheels and burrs to get the inside of the pipe perfectly clean. i would also recommend taking out the EGT and plugging the hole with a bolt so that thing doesn't get sucked into your turbo.

i think there's a how-to on gutting somewhere around here.
#5 Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
uppipe fix
this one is old but is the one i read before i did mine.
dont breathe the cat dust in, and dont just throw that shit in the trash either, you can actually sell it to a recycler, I sold 2 stock wrx DP that people just gave to me for 150 dollars. not saying that youll get that much from the cat in your UP but they 'll buy it from you. i always post on CL for DP's , but I think the people in Seattle are on to me.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing