GT35R on a built EJ205 vs EJ255 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

FL4T is an unknown
GT35R on a built EJ205 vs EJ255

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and modification scene, I have a passion for automotives and plan on buying a WRX in the next couple of months. I originally wanted an STi but won't be able to afford the insurance so am going for an '03 or '04 WRX.

As great as the WRX is stock I know for a fact I will want to upgrade the turbo which leaves me wondering if I will be better off with the EJ205 engine or EJ255.

Considering a GT35R

I'm confused as to what exactly is an EJ205 with a 2.5 block.ex. Would I be better off getting the 2.5L EJ255?
And what supporting mods are necessary for the GT35R?

Any links would be greatly appreciated, I've been browsing through this forum for a couple weeks but couldn't really find and answer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mosc; 04-21-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ok, do you have a lot and I mean a lot of money to piss away to get a 03 or 04 wrx to run a GT35R. Tons of money and parts will be needed just to keep it up and running. The EJ205 will have a postage stamp of a powerband with that turbo and I'll say it again. This will not just be installing a turbo and all is right with the world.

Lil Shoaf has gone this route before with his ride and he has spent a ton of money learning how to get things right. If he chimes in on this post. I'm sure he'll say more in detail how much of a build this will entail.

Edit: Shoaf is now running a highly modified EJ255 short block with his highly modifed '02 heads (This is known as a hybrid block/build). Because the EJ255 bottom end really helps spool the turbo a lot more than a EJ205.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

FL4T is an unknown
Thanks, Ill have to do more research...
I guess I prefer the EJ205, and am looking to do a safe turbo upgrade on pump gas spending no more then $4000 on the turbo/supporting mods.
#4 Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yikes... 4k on a 2.0 is going to be tough and then you'll kill the transmission and you'll be out a car... Cowboy up for the STi, and you can get away with a mild turbo upgrade with only fuel system support mods... The 2 grand you'll save can go towards insurance for a few years.

Done.

-Chris
#5 Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

FL4T is an unknown
Yeah I wasn't too sure how much torque the transmission could handle, would you be able to recommend a turbo kit (+ supporting mods) in my price range (4k) for a 2.0?

Thanks
#6 Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To have even close to decent spool characteristics I would say a TD05 16g or IHI VF39 or VF34.

All can be had for 500 or less used and out of the bunch I'd say the VF34 for a couple reasons. It has always been considered "small" for the 2.5L, and it will peak a bit under or at 300whp, so it's probably the smallest turbo out of the bunch (aka best spool if you don't want more power than that). If you want to go more then go for the 16g, the 39 is right in the middle.

Other items you WILL need:

Larger Intercooler
At least 650cc injectors
Fuel Pump
Catless Up-Pipe
Down Pipe
Some sort of engine management (COBB Accessport or Opensource Tune)

I'd say the necessary stuff above will cost you a bit under two grand if you get a used turbo and mid-level other parts aka $500 intercooler, $300 dp. It will go up if you buy the pricier parts.

Things you DON'T need but are helpful/fun:
Cat Back Exhaust
Intake (must be considered in the tune)
Aftermarket headers or Port and Polished Exhaust Manifolds (I did the PnP route and love it- full spool on my VF52 at 3200 rpms)
Boost Gauge
Wideband AFR
3-Port EBCS to help control boost better than the stock 2-port

Add in all that and you're probably sitting around 3,800 or so depending on what brands you go with.

Then, of course, you're taking your transmission in your own hands. The early gen WRX's I believe have an uppermost limit at 300 or so wtq, but stock ones have been known to kill the transmission.

-Chris
#7 Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
for 4k you can make a nice EJ205 with a E3-16G

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Honestly I would drop that cash into the transmission and clutch coupled with an agressive tune on the stock turbo. This way you can spool quick and have some fun power (till the turbo goes from the abuse) and actually be able to use the power with the upgraded drivetrain.. THEN I would save up so that when the turbo does blow a seal or crap out you can upgrade and retune for the new setup..

Or you can buy my car with a fully setup GT35r.. LOL.. It has a safe tune with planty of reliable power.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#9 Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
how much are you selling it for?
#10 Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Shoaf! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
LOL. More then it's "Worth". LOL..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#12 Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I got a wrx and have wanted an sti since. I'm at stage 2, but don't want to do anymore b/c it will probably kill my trans. If you are a true enthusiast and want a lot of power, get the sti. My insurance quote was only $7/month more.

A new trans is 6k, turbo upgrade is at least 2k,so just take that money and buy the sti.

Now if I could only find a quality used sti that hasn't been beat to death. Its not easy, might have to buy new again.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback