Subaru WRX Forum banner

gt 30r on a 02wrx?¿

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  LiL Shoaf 
#1 ·
Ok well I am about to order the perrin gt30r kit from the shop near by ,He is doin my entire install turbo ,fuel rail ,pump , 860 injectors,and tune for a lil over 4,000 good deal?.

My main question for you guys is do i need to do any kind of internals to my motor before hand or can the ej20 handle this, I am looking to push 350whp for now due to the tranny ,I know i will have to be gentile with it till I get that done, I also plan on eventually building the motor for safty sake I dont want to blow my car up I want to know it can handle it .

so any advice would be greatly apreciated <as in > pros and cons for that turbo , If internals needed what would i need , that sorta thing . Thanks here is a list of mods so far

HKS Short ram intake
HKS up pipe
HKS down pipe
HKS cat back exhaust
HKS cat delete pipe
HKS SSQ blow off valve
TurboXS HP boost controller
TurboXS front mount intercooler upgrade
Perrin Oil catch tank and Radiator over flow tank
NX Nitrous Intercooler sprayer
All hoses are Samco silicone 3 ply
Clutch Master stage 3 clutch
TurboXS utec with Remote Map selector
Underdrive Pulley

See less See more
#3 ·
GT30R is typically externally gated. Assuming you're getting that, you'll also need the exhaust piping (up and down) as well as a wastegate. If he wants to do an internally gated GT30R, I'd be skeptical.

Why do you want such a big turbo anyway? It's going to be hard to spool that sucker. Your 2.0L is going to drive like a econobox until 3500RPMs. What you're building sounds like a dyno queen... I'd strongly recommend a more reasonable sized turbo.

EDIT: on your question, yes. You should look into a STi 2.5L shortblock. It'll greatly help you spool that turbo. Also new rods and pistons if your going to be pushing nitrous in there. Agreed with the above poster though, your tranny's going to go before your motor, especially with that tranny snapping clutch you got on there.

#4 ·
The stock EJ20 will hold the GT30R.. Depending on the hot side housing your spool will varry.. The flow rate is high on that turbo which would warrent internal modifications but they are not "Needed"...

You might want to look into cams and head to aid in spool, but it's not really that bad.. (depending on Exhaust housing).. You are going to have a slight "Wall of Death" where your power skyrockets and the car will plant you into your seat.. I LOVE it...

Mosc: The Perrin kit is external, and comes with the piping... He also said "Nitrous Intercooler sprayer" which tells me that he is simply cooling his intercooler, not injecting NOS..

#6 ·
The perrin kits comes with uppipe, downpipe, PERRIN/Tial 44mm External Wastegate, Silicone intake system w/BigMAF housing, Intercooler pipe connectors, Oil lines for either WRX or STI, coolant lines, and PERRIN PyroShield hose cover, and of course your choice of turbo

And yes just spraying the intercooler no injection whatsoever, I know i am goin to have to baby it cause of the tranny I have come to terms with that .Already lost second gear once racing my friend who was driving my other car ,Doesnt get much worse then that lol.

As to why i am goin with such a large turbo ,My shop sugested <dont quote me on this> starting with a larger foundation to start with so all that work will not have to be redone when i want more ,Cause originaly I aproached him wanting a evo3big16g or something around that and he since explained why that would be a waist of money.

#7 ·
As to why i am goin with such a large turbo ,My shop sugested <dont quote me on this> starting with a larger foundation to start with so all that work will not have to be redone when i want more ,Cause originaly I aproached him wanting a evo3big16g or something around that and he since explained why that would be a waist of money.
I was going to do the same thing but couldn't afford the kit at the time and I needed a turbo because the stocker was shot. It's good to plan ahead, good luck!

#8 ·
maybe a .68 AR to aid in spool? I wouldnt go to a .82 unless you really wanted some top end but that would definatly require cams and some head work and possibly a new crank just to spin the motor up that high. 1.06 would be a lag monster that ran into like a frieght train when it hit. again internal mods highly suggested.

#13 ·
However, Ron still suggest stock redline.

You would need complete internals that are blueprinted and high speed balanced.
You need FULLY worked heads with light weight valve train components and dual springs.
It's still no guarantee that it will hold up...

#16 ·
No, Ultimate Racing. The problem was MY install.. I pried too hard on the stock rails and didn't get them to seat back down properly.. It only leaked under boost becuase I had no leaks at idle..

#18 ·
Don't know, I have never ran them.. I'm running RC.. Ron from Axis suggest a brand to me that was cheaper but I can't for the life of me remember the name and I lost my emails when my system went down.. Someone can always call him up and ask.. I don't want to yet because I don't have the money to send him my block yet to get fixed.. I'm wierd, I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.