Greddy Evo 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
Greddy Evo 2

So i finally got my evo 2 cat back today, and i installed it myself took about an hour to do so... those damn spring loaded bolts were a pain in the ass to take out.. in the middle of the install i almost made a decision to Return it ### the middle pipe wouldnt match up right to the downpipe... but THEN! i remembered that the stock downpipe had a donut gasket that needed to be taken off.. and then voila! fit right up the pipe.

Some impressions:
im a bit disappointed with the sound... altho the sound itself is very deep and nice, i was disappointed with the volume of the sound. It is indeed much quieter than most cat backs ive heard and that was a disappointment. at start up speeds, the cat back makes a nice low rumble and then at high way speeds, it is almost stock quiet.

I am hoping that once i get a downpipe, it will give me the sound that i desire...

but out of curiosity, is there anyone that would trade their catback with me?
remember my cat back is only 1 day old now (barely), so i Will be lookin for a fairly new exhaust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
not to be an A$$, but didn't you know that the Greddy EVO2 is probably the quietest catback out there?
that said, if you get rid of the cat's it get's louder. i'm not sure how loud you want it though.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-27-2005, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
i rather have the exhaust quiet so i can hear the turbo spool and not attract too much attention from a loud ass exhaust.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-27-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
not to be an A$$, but didn't you know that the Greddy EVO2 is probably the quietest catback out there?
that said, if you get rid of the cat's it get's louder. i'm not sure how loud you want it though.

yea i was aware that the evo2 was one of the quietest, just that i didnt think it would be as quiet as it is right now... i thought it would still have some more rumble
post #5 of 23 Old 10-27-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
BTW, how do you know if you have an exhaust leak?? I just want to make sure I didnt make any mistakes installing it... i dont hear anything out of the ordinary...
but i did notice one thing... as the RPMs fall to the bottom after revving the engine, my car makes a sputtering noise, almost like its making miniature sparks in the exhaust... like small pop pop pop noises.. wats that about?
post #6 of 23 Old 10-28-2005, 01:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutexk
BTW, how do you know if you have an exhaust leak?? I just want to make sure I didnt make any mistakes installing it... i dont hear anything out of the ordinary...
but i did notice one thing... as the RPMs fall to the bottom after revving the engine, my car makes a sputtering noise, almost like its making miniature sparks in the exhaust... like small pop pop pop noises.. wats that about?
sounds like some back pressure... but the pop noises are pretty normal.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

if you have an exhaust leak it'll sound just a tad different. since you just put it on, the best way to find out if you have one is to put it on juack stands and start the car up. you coan either use your hand or a spray bottle with a soapy solution to feel/see the leak. i just replaced both my gaskets because the fell apart.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
These are some installed cat back pictures... enjoy

post #9 of 23 Old 10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

yep, looks like mine, but my wagon is cleaner :lol:
post #10 of 23 Old 10-28-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
yea i havent washed my car in a while, you can see how many finger prints there are on the rear bumper
post #11 of 23 Old 10-30-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
So heres a follow up of the Evo2:

After driving the car about 600miles this weekend (road trip), i gave the evo2 some time to break-in itself as i was told it needed, and to my delight the exhaust has gotten much stronger and sexier than when i first installed it... so in the end, i am very satisfied and happy with the sound this cat back makes and it is indeed a very nice exhaust... i would recommend the evo2 to anyone that doesnt want too loud of an exhaust but still wants that nice deep rumble...
post #12 of 23 Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

dingobite is an unknown
It will get even louder around the 3000 mile burn in drive around with the rear windows down when you go catless.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-08-2005, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
i have the new bosal twin tip reduced db with a resonator from j-spec tuning.com and it is catless. It damn loud. i was probably better off saving $100 and buying the one with out the resonator. damn loud. but threatening!!! if i was u absolute, i would wait untill you do a downpipe. it is going to make a big difference is the sound of your catback.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

02REX Troy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutexk
the middle pipe wouldnt match up right to the downpipe... but THEN! i remembered that the stock downpipe had a donut gasket that needed to be taken off.. and then voila! fit right up the pipe.
Hey, just curious because I am about to get an exhaust system... Does this evo2 catback system come with a midpipe? because your saying it didn't match up with the downpipe and i thought the midpipe connects to the downpipe, not the catback system right? thanks
post #15 of 23 Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

drbertoch is an unknown
I have had my evo 2 for about a year, just recently my gasket blew out inbetween my downpipe and the catback. I think a new gasket costs like $8 at the suby dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement